Nissan Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
hello all

im the proud owner of a 1977 datsun 120y (AKA b210)
now i love my car
and my a12 has no trouble putting me around

but i like the reliablity and parts availability of newer cars
its everywhere that ca18det and sr20de/t engines go in these cars with some hefty modification and engineering

but im not after power
and i like the practicality of the ga16de
my mums pulsar has one and its pretty nice to drive

now my question is
is there any RWD gearbox/tranny that would fit a standard ga16de engine?

many thanks in advanced
Jason

·
800+ posts
822 Posts
The only RWD GAs that I know of are actually AWD or 4WD, are front-wheel biased, and use a transfer case that bolts up to the front-wheel transaxle. However, the GA-series is not too far from the KA- or CA-series, so you could probably have an adapter plate machined to be able to use either series transmissions, or even go back as far as you stock A-series. After all, the GA-series is a direct descendant from the A-series.

·
Apprentice Technician
784 Posts
The only RWD GAs that I know of are actually AWD or 4WD, are front-wheel biased, and use a transfer case that bolts up to the front-wheel transaxle. However, the GA-series is not too far from the KA- or CA-series, so you could probably have an adapter plate machined to be able to use either series transmissions, or even go back as far as you stock A-series. After all, the GA-series is a direct descendant from the A-series.
if thats the case it would be worth it to see if they mount up. i'd buy an old b210 or 310, drop in a GA thats build to the pisser, and have a lot of fun.

·
Registered
74 Posts
A front wheel biased 4wd can't necessarily be conveted to rwd. Like on Evo's the car is essentailly a front wheel dive machine but with an additional driveshaft to the rear axels. On most trucks and cars like subies, they are reaer wheel biased so the car is a rwd car with an additional driveshaft to the front wheels. On these all you basically have to do is disconnect the front driveshaft and diff sometimes its just a fuse(r32-r34 gtrs). On a fwd biased awd/4wd in order to disengage the front axels you have to re-work the tranny completley. as its like i said a fwd car with an additional driveshaft. But I'm sure it can be done. "where there's a will there
s a way!" Good luck man.

·
Apprentice Technician
784 Posts
A front wheel biased 4wd can't necessarily be conveted to rwd. Like on Evo's the car is essentailly a front wheel dive machine but with an additional driveshaft to the rear axels. On most trucks and cars like subies, they are reaer wheel biased so the car is a rwd car with an additional driveshaft to the front wheels. On these all you basically have to do is disconnect the front driveshaft and diff sometimes its just a fuse(r32-r34 gtrs). On a fwd biased awd/4wd in order to disengage the front axels you have to re-work the tranny completley. as its like i said a fwd car with an additional driveshaft. But I'm sure it can be done. "where there's a will there
s a way!" Good luck man.
certain FWD's can though :). i'm sure b12s could. start with a 4wd b12. if you don't want a wagon, transplant the drivetrain and rear stearing knuckles and axle assemblies in your chosen body style. from there i'm sure an s13 axle assembly would go in without too many modifications. then get the gearing you want, drop in the engine you want.

want a CA18DET? get an S12 parts car to swap the mounts and such. an s13 for a KA swap. you'd need a full swap kit for an SR though.

But the Original Poster was looking to swap a GA16 into his already RWD car, not do a conversion.

oh, and FTR, new STi's, i dunno if i'd call them front OR rear biased. they have the best friggen 4WD tranny i've ever seen. no Transfer case. because the boxer engine sits so forward, the tranny sits far enough forward that though its a longitudinal tranny, it lines up with the front wheels, so they've basically built a transverse transaxle and a longitudinal transmission into one unit, eliminating the transfercase, which is such a weak link on so many 4WD vehicles. oh and the driveshafts are beefy.

·
Registered
121 Posts
ok so assuming that you are able to mate a transmission to the engine, won´t there be any issues with the intake manifold?
All these engines are mounted transversally, so when placed longitudinally, the throttle body will be facing the firewall. Will there be enough room to route the intake piping or will it end up being to close to the firewall, requiering some modding to the mounting points?

Just a thought jeje, what do you guys think?

·
Apprentice Technician
784 Posts
ok so assuming that you are able to mate a transmission to the engine, won´t there be any issues with the intake manifold?
All these engines are mounted transversally, so when placed longitudinally, the throttle body will be facing the firewall. Will there be enough room to route the intake piping or will it end up being to close to the firewall, requiering some modding to the mounting points?

Just a thought jeje, what do you guys think?
time to order up ITBs from extrudabody LOL. but, you're right.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts