Nissan Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
96 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Have a factory exhaust that has a lot of surface rust on it? I ask because where I live ( San Jose, CA) Most if not all exhausts stay perfectly new looking no matter how long they are on the car.

The 97 Nissan 4wd extra cab that I just bought seems to only have rust on the exhaust and its hangers... There is also some surface corrosion around where the leaf springs attach to the axle..

My question is if this is normal? No other rust exists that I can tell.. not even on the back of the bumper ( inside behind)

Truck spent its whole life in New Port Richey Florida..

I hate rust and I am not familiar with trucks and cars from this area... Does Florida have a problem with rust on cars/trucks?

Here is a picture of it..

·
Registered
10 Posts
Perhaps this article may give you some insight as to the cause of the rust:
- Exhaust system, how it works, how to care for it, and what it's made of.

Info from a couple of other forums:
- RUST ON EXHAUST PIPES
- Rust on Exhaust Tip, How to Clean off? 2006 Mustang V6 - Ford Mustang Forums

Here are a some (hopefully) helpful videos on rust repair:

1) How To Remove Rust (Cars: Keeping Your Car Clean)
2) YouTube - Auto Body: Dent & Rust Repair - 1 of 6
3) YouTube - Repairing Body Rust On Your Car - 1 of 3

Don't forget to select the "watch in high quality" option for the video, if applicable.

Good luck :)

·
Registered
96 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
uh... thanks.. thats uhm.. useful info..

What I was essentially asking is if anyone has a truck like mine in an area NOT noted for rust, still have the exhaust rust like the picture above.

Thanks though..

·
Registered
153 Posts
Bare steel in high humidity areas are going to rust.I replaced 2 pitted valves in my 61 283, after the car sat in a storage garage,just because the Ohio humidity gets so high quite often. I'ld check all the other nooks and crannys on that truck that can't be seen.There is sometimes a difference in the condition of some Florida cars,compared to let's say an Arizona car. Close to the ocean salty air,and Florida's humidity,can take it's tool on some cars.
God Luck

·
Registered
117 Posts
rust just happens

1 - 6 of 6 Posts