Nissan Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
193 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
OK I just replaced the thermostat and everything ran great for a couple of days. Now today on my way home from work as I'm getting off the highway I notice the steering wheel is shaking like the car is going to die but it doesn't. I stop at the light and notice my idle is a little lower than normal and the car is shaking but it doesn't die and the idle stays steady but lower than normal. When I go to take off the car acclerates very poorly and the exhaust is now loud as hell. I've had an exhaust leak for awhile now. It's right where the exhaust pipe meets the muffler. The hanger that held it there rusted away and rotted a big hole in the pipe right there. Anyway, I haven't checked the hole again yet (it's dark outside) but could this leak make the car run this way if the leak has gotten worse? Is it more than likely something else? The fuel filter was replaced about a year or so back and I took the air filter and breather element out and the car still ran like crap. On another note while replacing the thermostat I noticed a rotted hose near the carb. It was connected to something that was sort of saucer shaped and was right under the air box. Anyway, I replaced that hose since I saw it was rotted away. Nothing changed about the way the car ran after I did that (didn't get better, didn't get worse) but now about 2 days later I have this new problem. I don't know what that hose was for but I don't think it would have anything to do with this problem. My car is so loud now that I think it has to be an exhaust leak problem. Any idea?
engine is E16s

·
Registered
193 Posts
Discussion Starter #3 (Edited)
No. Engine temp is perfect. No problems there. Theres a steady sound kind of like "put put put" now and it gets louder as a I acclerate. Car has very little power now. Takes forever to get up to a decent speed. I haven't tried to push it past 35mph. I don't know what's wrong with it so I don't want to mess anything up.

·
Ex-mod/nissan guru
2,136 Posts
get that exhaust repair... should get better afterwards... the leak you got must have got even badder... you might want to patch it temporarly to see if it fix the problem. other than that, check the ignition timing.

·
Registered
193 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Had my dad come check it out. The exhaust leak is bad but after listening to the car he said it was a timing problem. He fixed it for me. I still have to get this exhaust pipe replaced though. That hole has gotten real big. Thanks for the tip on the timing. I mentioned that to him before he came over and that's what it was.

·
Registered
1,124 Posts
heh dont worry about it, my eaxhaust is in perfect condition except for where my flex pipe blew to peises so i got a good 3 inches of non connecting pipe, IT ROCKS

·
Registered
2,376 Posts
a common problem, but this wasn't your problem, is that a rotting pipe that works a hole can get the pipe to collapse on itself causing major backpressure and loud horrible sound.

A very good example, Chevrolet (yes i know i always talk about chevy) used a double wall style pipe. When i first drove my chevy as a daily driver i noticed it had power but seemed sluggish all the time, especially trying to pass on the highway....and it would resonate when floored sometimes. Well eventually the muffler started falling off and when it finally did and i pulled it out i realized it rattled, that meant metal was in the muffler. It ran a little better without muffler........but a 350 dumping exhuast under the drivers seat unmuffled is louder than f'ing hell. when i got the exhaust redone it was discovered just after the manifolds the pipes inner wall had collapsed in on itself. after replacing it ran awesome.

So moral of story, if its starting to rot and getting holes just replace the whole system from manifold back with a good cat and muffler. you can kind of err on the cat and not use it if you don't have emmissions.....but think of your fellow man and if you can use it.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts