Nissan Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Hey forum members, Although i am not new to being a "shade tree" gear-head, I am new to Nissan. I have picked up a project 86.5 Nissan 4X4 720 truck with a 2.4 engine with FI. The engine runs well at first but soon stalls out " starving for fuel"? The fuel pump is running and is "audible" when it first starts, and then shuts off when the engine stalls after 10 seconds. Before I started a triage on my own, I thought I would reach out to more experienced Nissan 720 Truck owners to see what is suggested.
My normal course would be;
1. Fuel filter - In line
2. Fuel pump - Check pressure
3. Cracked wire in between ECM and fuel injection system.
4. Put more gas in tank as may be very dirty possible clogging the fuel line?

Note: the engine continues to run fine when gas is manually "dripped" into the throttle body.

Any ideas would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks!

Ron - Nissan Newby

·
Sup Mod keeping the peace
6,171 Posts
Disconnect the fuel line from the output side of the fuel filter and tee-in a temporary fuel pressure gauge. Start the engine and watch the fuel pressure. The pressure should be around 36 psi. If the pressure starts dropping off and the engine then dies, it points to a bad fuel pump.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Disconnect the fuel line from the output side of the fuel filter and tee-in a temporary fuel pressure gauge. Start the engine and watch the fuel pressure. The pressure should be around 36 psi. If the pressure starts dropping off and the engine then dies, it points to a bad fuel pump.
Dear Rogoman, Thanks! I will give that a Go! And I will post the results. Thanks!

1 - 3 of 3 Posts