Nissan Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
114 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
92 KA24E is idling poorly (almost wants to stall), off idle it runs pretty good but misses and surges from time to time........I have replaced o2 sensor, cap, rotor, (they were all in pretty poor shape). replaced fuel filter, and it contained quite a bit of dirt....checked the TPS and it read "o" when on the truck, purchased a new one, and when I took the old one off it now reads the same as the new one? Put the old one back on. Have checked almost everything I can think of. Inspected the vaccum lines. checked plug wires, plugs are fairly new.

Any thoughts? Because of the dirt in the fuel filter, I keep wanting to think that maybe the screen on the fuel pump is dirty also, but would that cause a bad idle and then let it run pretty good off idle? I would think in that case it would be worse at higher rpm's.

I am almost to the point where I am just going to take it somewhere and have them "tell me what is wrong with it"......

·
Registered
114 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks...yes I checked codes "55" normal operation.........guess I will pull the tank out and clean it......what is the best way to flush it out?

·
Hardbody Freak
2,673 Posts
probably not recommended but once i opened it up and drained the gas i took it to the car wash and used the pressure wand to blast the hell out of it.
i then let it drain upside down and used the blower from my shop vac to dry it out and blow out any thing loose.

i went so far as to use steel wool to loosen up what ever stuff was left and then repaeted the whole process..

once clean and dry i inspected everything and put it back together..

mine had so much crap in it that the sump would pick it up and clog the inlet ..

i blew out the lines and replaced the filter..

·
Registered
430 Posts
don't forget to replace the lines... easy to do with some rubber hose instead of metal. do it on old cars all the time. cheap and effective.

after that you need to test your fuel pressure regulator. and of course, your injectors are going to be partially clogged. some may not be spraying at all.

the more work you do, the better.

·
Registered
430 Posts
though, i've never actually switched the lines on a system with the fuel pump at the rear. a pressurized system would like to have metal lines to not loose pressure due to the lines bulging, but i really doubt that after the line is pressurized it will burst. just get some good shit.

old cars, the gas is pulled via a cam-operated fuel pump. imports, an electrically operated tank pump so obviously you'd want the pressure in the line to be right at the fuel pressure regulator down the line by the injectors.

just get some strong hose and keep a watch on it, until you're willing to pay 300 bucks for a new line or happen to find a good one for sale. you can clean your old one, (if you got it out of the car without kinking it), but if i was redoing crap on a car i wouldn't just "hope for the best" on an old line. but whatever... pull it out of the car and clean it. have fun doing that without a shop lift or pulling all the parts that keep you from getting it out.

·
Registered
10 Posts
I just had mine fixed as I couldn't figure out the issue. Basically it didnlt have an issue with starting, but if it was cold it would not idle. Once it warmed up it was a bit better. When I first bought it it would just surge when idling. It wouldn't die but the idle would climb and drop constantly. It got gradually worse until I had to take it in as it wouldn't idle. It ended up being a huge vacuum leak because the throttlebody gasket had disintegrated.
Good luck with finding your problem :)

1 - 7 of 7 Posts