Nissan Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
i was wondering if it is possible to be running lean with just a cone filter? i have a 92 se w/ga16de. i took it to a shop for a new catalytic converter(old one clogged) and the mechanic was telling me that the reason for this was the car was running lean.

thanks in advance

·
Driver
736 Posts
I would think the MAF would recognize the extra air and compensate by adding more fuel to the mix. Maybe the MAF isn't working right:confused:

·
Registered
1,014 Posts
If your old Cat was clogged, then you may be running too rich, not lean. Extra fuel in the Cat clogs it up, Unburned hydrocarbons or Carbon buildup. I think that the O2 sensor is shot, or you need a good tuneup with Cap/rotor and wires and plugs. the best thing to do first is look at the plugs and look for carbon fouling. If thats the case, then you need to look at your spark (coil) rotor cap and wires. Or you may have a defective Pressure regulator that is pushing too much fuel in. Also, the MAF could be allowing the injectors to push more fuel too. The Nissan Consult is the best diagnosis tool to use to find the MAf problem or O2 sensor problem.
Chris

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
the car also has 195000 miles. dont know if that would affect the cat, or are they supposed to last the lifetime of the car? wouldn't the check engine light come on if the maf or O2 sensor wasn't working?

·
Driver
736 Posts
Cats aren't made to last the lifetime of the car, and with 195,000 miles, it could've just gotten old and worn out(clogged like it is).

·
Registered
1,014 Posts
in that case, it lasted its lifetime! I am surprised it didn't go before then. Get a random this time. I still would check the sensors with a consult just to see if you are running OK. Also try installing a A/F meter. I found I was running rich with that meter and found the injectors were leaking.
CD

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
where could i find one? are they hard to install?

i would also like to find one for an sr20de application.

·
Registered
1,014 Posts
Fumes? They only way you can tell is if you have heavy carbon in the pipe. I ran mine without the cat and the tip was black as coal. With it it was pretty clean. Anyway, you need to run the consult to find if the thing runs rich or lean. Or obtain an air/fuel ratio meter from autometer. This thing works well. At idle, your car should hover at stoiciometric ratio. It will flip flop back and forth rich/lean/rich/ lean. You will not be able to tell unless you replace everything from O2 sensor to rotor/cap to the maf. You don't want to guess it. With a engine with that mileage, so a compression test for blowby. have you replaced any sensors like the engine temp sensor? That bastard controls alot of ECU function because it tells the computer the engine is running at a temperature for adding fuel and spark. the engine goes goffy if that is bad.
Chris 92 classic

1 - 11 of 11 Posts