Nissan Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
2014 Frontier SV

Hi folks, I saw this in a different section but my issue is the exact same for my Frontier. So thought I would post here and see what you think:

"...started hearing a weird intermittent rubbing sound coming from my front driverside wheel well/tire area. I took my tires off today all around and checked for any oddities, and could find nothing, i replaced my front disk brakes today as well just to be sure it wasnt the pads malfunctioning somehow. The rubbing is still there. The car is running fine, driving fine, no CEL illuminated, nothing, cant figure out what the problem could be. It sounds almost like i ran over a plastic trash bag and its caught underneath the car, but its more muted in sound, i should also mention it makes this sound constantly while the car is in motion, then slows down when i brake and stops when the car is at a complete stop. When I say its intermittent i meant that its not a constant nonstop rubbing sound it goes on and off with ever rotation of the tire. the tires arent worn unevenly, and i cant see any objects stuck in the tire that could be causing the sounds. Anyone have any idea what this is or had similar experiences? "

That is my exact issue. It was with my 2007 Frontier, which I just traded in for a 2014 Frontier SV...which ironically enough is showing me today that it has the same problem! I would like to keep this truck, but i have to figure this out. I will take it in to the shop but was wondering if anyone else has had this happen? There was no resolution on the other thread...

·
Registered
370 Posts
Pete,

I have a '13 SVV6 and I have noticed that there is very little space between the Rim and the Caliper Assembly.

I would jack the Front End Up and Rotate the Tire's manually to see if you can hear the Sound,, and what may be makeing it. Maybe one of the Wheel Weight's is partially unglued.

I read on another forum,, about a New Frontier Truck, makeing a noise,, like something was rubbing,, and it turned out to be his Tire's.

So far,, Mine is smooth and quiet with the OE GoodRich 265/70/16.

Good Luck

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks for the replies. I am taking it in to the place I bought it in a few days to let them take care of it. Although it didn't really sound metallic at first, I am not ruling that out. The noise has changed a little since it started. but is still very much 'rotational' in nature, as in occurring with wheel rotation. Generally noticeable on most trips, at speeds from 20-45mph.
I will report back when this is eventually resolved (I hope!!)

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Ok just got back with the truck. As luck would have it, Seller could not hear the noise. They took it to Nissan who also could not hear the noise.

So, Nissan went to park it on their lot -- and HEARD THE NOISE!

Verdict; Rotor hitting backplate. Repaired. If it (noise) returns, so will I to this thread...but if not, hope this is helpful.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts