Nissan Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just wanted to share with everyone my current progress in retro fitting some RS6 Bi-Xenon projectors from a 2003 Audi A6. The process is fairly easy but very time consuming. Tips in installation were taken from reading the numerous post on hidplanet.com. The RS6 Bi-Xenon projectors are very small and seem to be a perfect fit for the 4th Gen Maxima headlight. The projectors have been modified by adding 2 #8 washers all around in order to get the purple cutoff color. The trade-off for this color mod is that it has caused a slight drop off in the cutoff to the right. The shroud used is dryer duct with aluminum tape. The bezel used is from a PVC 4"-3" pipe reducer which will be painted silver/chrome later. I have tried using a 6" drip pan for the bezel but didn't like how it came out. I may experiment with other house hold items for the bezel later. Well, enough talking here are the pics.

·
DNE's VZR Conversion
6,079 Posts
looks good which version did you use the ECE or DOT ?

·
In Ur Threadz - Deleting!
1,906 Posts
Looks very nice John!!! Are you going to paint the inside of the headlights as well?

LatinMax said:
Those are great. Those are the one's that I am using as my fog/driving lights in my front spoiler.
...as opposed to the fog/driving lights in the rear spoiler?
hahahah!!! J/k Gabe!

·
DNE's VZR Conversion
6,079 Posts
also see if u can play with the cut off line a bit it looks a tad fuzzy..

as you can see mine are a tad sharper using the same projectors A6 Bixenon but using the european style.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #7 (Edited)
LIUSPEED: They are DOT projectors. The cutoff is blurry due to the washer mod. If I take the washers off, the cutoff becomes sharp again but I loose the nice purple color and it then becomes the fugly yellow color. For my application, I would rather have the color than the sharpness. Your beam pattern does not seem to have the normal high cutoff flair associated with ECE. If you didn't tell me, I would have thought those were DOTs.

MrEous: Jeff, I would but I am going to put a row of 18000mcd hyper white leds into the headlight for my city light mod. They will be lined up on the bottom but in front of the projector. The chrome paint will be better for this application since the black, glossy or not, will not reflect very well.

·
DNE's VZR Conversion
6,079 Posts
meanbean said:
LIUSPEED: They are DOT projectors. The cutoff is blurry due to the washer mod. If I take the washers off, the cutoff becomes sharp again but I loose the nice purple color and it then becomes the fugly yellow color. For my application, I would rather have the color than the sharpness. Your beam pattern does not seem to have the normal high cutoff flair associated with ECE. If you didn't tell me, I would have thought those were DOTs.
i c understood.. im soon be getting rid of these current set up and doing a quad xenon set up using TSX and 05 330i projectors into a diff housing..

as you already know the TSX has a colorful cut off and wide beam spread and the new 05 bmw 330i projectors are bixenon and one of the nicest bixenon that are dot but without a fresnal lense.

here is another cut off pattern on my ECE

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #9 (Edited)
Here is a quick photoshop of how I'm thinking of painting the headlight. The first is a modified AE scheme with color match bezel. I'm trying to keep the reflective chrome paint on the back for my city light mod. The 2nd picture is the entire headlight blacked out with matching bezel. Which one would you choose 1)AE Style or 2) All Black Style?

1. AE Style

2. All Black Style

Current (Work in Progress)

·
DNE's VZR Conversion
6,079 Posts
i say black it out.. itll reduce the yellow in the lights

·
In Ur Threadz - Deleting!
1,906 Posts
Black it out...unless you are still worried about your city lights.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
I didn't get a chance to finish but I now have both projectors installed into the headlights. The headlights have been sanded down and now only need to painted and I'll be finally done. So, this means that I will have them installed by this weekend. Here are pics of both headllights w/ new cutoff. I have removed the washers and bent the shield instend. As you can see, I have my sharpness back and the desired color. For those that have not done this on a bi-xenon projector, let me tell you that it is a pain in the a$$ but the final results are worth it. Well, I'll check back in this coming weekend with install pic. :thumbsup:

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Well, my projector mod saga continues. I decide to scrap my city lights and my original shrouds/bezels. I repaired the pre-drilled bottom holes from the city lights and then proceeded to custom fabricate the shrouds & bezels using fiberglass and bondo. The process was moderately easy but very time consuming. (Sand paper is my new best friend.) I now have the headlights, projector bowl and mounting screws painted gloss black and the shrouds & bezels primered. I stopped final paint on the shroud & bezel since I discovered some hair line cracks on 1 of the bezels. The shroud will eventually be painted to gloss black while the bezel to chrome. Due to the delays caused by the custom fabrication, my installation date has been pushed back yet again. Hopefully, this coming weekend will be the completion to this project and the start of another one already to go. Until that time, here are some pics to tide you over.

·
DNE's VZR Conversion
6,079 Posts
looking good.. cant wait to see it in person.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Sorry for the delayed update but I have been busy and have not had much time. To bring everyone up to speed, the only step I had remaining was to paint my custom bezels & shrouds but I ended up spending much more time on this step than I could have possibly imagined. I ended up having to repaint them 3 times since my painting skills are very lacking. Each time I had to repaint, it required 1-2 hours of sanding to remove the botched paint job. I can honestly say that I hate painting but I’m glad to report that it’s finally done. Unfortunately, I still have not had the time to install them yet but I'm hoping that I will be able to finally get this done this weekend. Until that time, I have included some more pics to tide everyone over.

Final version of my custom molded bezel & shrouds.

Bezel & shrouds primered.

Finally completed!!

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Sadly, my installation is still not completed. One of my ballast decided to die during final testing prior to the installation. Because of this, I would not have been able to aim the projectors after installation so I decided to postpone the installation. A replacement ballast has already been purchased and will hopefully arrive by this weekend. I decided to use the down time to again revise the previous final version of my molded bezel and shroud. The reason for this was that the previous version was still allowing a tiny bit of light to escape from the sides. This "final" version is now blocking out 100% of the light from the side so I will not have any glare issues. In addition, I have decided to go with an all gloss black bezel and shroud. I think it makes the setup look more aggressive and quite pleased with the look. As always, I will keep everyone posted on this seemingly never ending project.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
The replacement ballast came in and the projectors have just been test fitted on the car tonight. They make the car look mean as hell. The install pics are to come later this weekend as the car needs to be washed before pics are taken. In the mean time, here is a pic of the final product to tide you over.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts