Nissan Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was wondering if anyone knows what my rpm's should be at when it shifts because I don't think it is shifting right. When I get on a stretch of road the rpm's go to 3000 down shift to 2000 then when it shifts again is goes right back to 2000 then slowly drops to normal.

About a month ago I made a post about loss of power to my car since they replaced my crank shaft sensor and I still have no power, and it seems to be worse when I am driving around with my overdrive off.

I think that all these problems are related and that they stem back to that damn sensor and the dealership has not been able to help me.
I have been told so many things....it's my cadalitic converter, my idle is too high, my transmission needs to be serviced, ect.....

I am getting a little frustrated with my POS car! Does anyone have any ideas??????

·
Registered
270 Posts
I think that when you turn on the OD off the RPMS dont rev as high as when you have the OD on. There isnt much power with the 1.8S I mean theres a little but not a whole lot. Please any of the senior members of the forum correct me if I'm wrong.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Pharrari said:
I think that when you turn on the OD off the RPMS dont rev as high as when you have the OD on. There isnt much power with the 1.8S I mean theres a little but not a whole lot. Please any of the senior members of the forum correct me if I'm wrong.
Actually, my rpms rev up way higher when the OD is off.

·
absolutely classic
455 Posts
When the OD is off, your transmission is not using 4th gear. Therefore, the RPM's would go higher.

The car will shift according to driver demand, so the more you get on it, the higher you'll rev. As for the RPM's slipping, automatics tend to be very soft shifting. Meaning it won't just bang into gear, it slips on purpose.

Lack of power could be so many things. Any CEL?

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Kindfiend said:
When the OD is off, your transmission is not using 4th gear. Therefore, the RPM's would go higher.

The car will shift according to driver demand, so the more you get on it, the higher you'll rev. As for the RPM's slipping, automatics tend to be very soft shifting. Meaning it won't just bang into gear, it slips on purpose.

Lack of power could be so many things. Any CEL?

Ok, I am going to ask what is probably a very stupid question because I am really car ignorant. When you ask any CEL, what do you mean?

·
absolutely classic
455 Posts
leap.frog2 said:
Ok, I am going to ask what is probably a very stupid question because I am really car ignorant. When you ask any CEL, what do you mean?
Check engine light.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Kindfiend said:
Check engine light.

Oh,thanks for the answer. No my CEL has not been coming on. Then again, it didn't come on the last time until my car completely stalled on top of a draw bridge even though I could previously see my rpm's going nuts a couple times before it died. So, I really don't trust that damn CEL.

·
absolutely classic
455 Posts
leap.frog2 said:
Oh,thanks for the answer. No my CEL has not been coming on. Then again, it didn't come on the last time until my car completely stalled on top of a draw bridge even though I could previously see my rpm's going nuts a couple times before it died. So, I really don't trust that damn CEL.
Trust it, not everything will set it off, however. The stalling could be a bad crank sensor and/or camshaft sensor. The crank sensor was a recall on the 01 Sentras. Call the dealership and ask them what recalls have been done, you'll need the VIN. Also, it could be the MAF sensor. The MAF monitors the amount of air and could lead to idle fluctuation and poor drivablity. If you take the car to a mechanic, tell them to check these items. Good luck!

1 - 8 of 8 Posts