Nissan Forum banner
21 - 27 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
2,438 Posts
Not short of (maybe) a scope. The injector drivers are N-channel transistors that are "open collector", meaning they can pull ground on the injector but they can't push any voltage. The trouble with that is, it's impossible to distinguish whether the transistor is blown or the ECM simply isn't firing it. Blown transistors will sometimes still pull a small amount of current and cause a telltale voltage fluctuation, but it will likely be so small that catching it with a VOM will be hopeless. Only a lab scope would show it up.

·
Software Developer
839 Posts
Got some help from Joe and ended up getting the distributor replaced. It’s also getting the needed volts to the injectors it is just not grounding them. It started up when they were grounded manually. Seems like it’s most likely the ecu not grounding it as it should. Anyone know of a way to test it out? Or should I just try and pick up a new one? Thanks a bunch
If the ECU is bad, it will actually throw that code.

I don't know how it knows when it is messed up, but it does.

The other option is like you said: manually check the pinouts to individual wires. The service manual has a procedure. Do you have the service manual?

·
Registered
2,438 Posts
If the ECU is bad, it will actually throw that code.

I don't know how it knows when it is messed up, but it does.

The other option is like you said: manually check the pinouts to individual wires. The service manual has a procedure. Do you have the service manual?
It can detect an open wire or open injector, but not necessarily a bad drive transistor. It needs the transistor to work in order to see how much current is flowing, but a transistor that's blown through to the collector will look like current is flowing when it isn't. So internal driver failures often won't cause codes like a disconnection will.

·
Registered
1989 Nissan D21 SE 3.0
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #24 · (Edited)
Ended up getting the ecu. Then found out that the two injectors were only reading 1.3 and 1.5 ohms. Pretty sure it domino effected and messed up the injectors as well. Trying to get some remanufactured ones for it. Looked around but I couldn’t any with big sellers, only ones on like eBay. Want to be sure I get a working pair. Anyone know of a place I can pick up injectors or maybe send them in to get remanufactured. I saw a couple places that remanufactured them for the 2.4 and it was a lot cheaper option. Thanks for all the help. 1989 Nissan D21 3.0.

·
Software Developer
839 Posts
Ended up getting the ecu. Then found out that the two injectors were only reading 1.3 and 1.5 ohms. Pretty sure it domino effected and messed up the injectors as well. Trying to get some remanufactured ones for it. Looked around but I couldn’t any with big sellers, only ones on like eBay. Want to be sure I get a working pair. Anyone know of a place I can pick up injectors or maybe send them in to get remanufactured. I saw a couple places that remanufactured them for the 2.4 4 cylinder and it was a lot cheaper option. Thanks for all the help. 1989 Nissan D21 3.0 v6.
You could try Rockauto.com Japanese manufacturers are good; Chinese are not.

·
Registered
1989 Nissan D21 SE 3.0
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #26 ·
Yeah I had checked with them to send the injectors in and get them remanufactured but when I went to check out the option was gone. I’ll have to call them to see. Will do. Thanks a bunch

·
Admin and Sup Mod keeping the peace
8,181 Posts
Ended up getting the ecu. Then found out that the two injectors were only reading 1.3 and 1.5 ohms. Pretty sure it domino effected and messed up the injectors as well. Trying to get some remanufactured ones for it. Looked around but I couldn’t any with big sellers, only ones on like eBay. Want to be sure I get a working pair. Anyone know of a place I can pick up injectors or maybe send them in to get remanufactured. I saw a couple places that remanufactured them for the 2.4 and it was a lot cheaper option. Thanks for all the help. 1989 Nissan D21 3.0.
Check out GB Remanufacturing, Inc. I've used their service several times.

21 - 27 of 27 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.