Nissan Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
102 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
the '95HB has been idling a little rough lately, and when I downshift the engine sounds a little rough too.

in the back of my mind, I'm feeling like I should have the timing checked.

I don't know if this is related, but at the top-end of the first few gears I sometimes hear a whirring sound coming from the gauges (I think) and I keep trying to tell if it's actually the chain but it's tough to decide...would I know it if it was?

anyway, does any of the above sound like reason to have the timing checked? no error codes - the last code I got was for the speedometer.

thanks!

·
Registered
2,220 Posts
couple sensors can cause a rough idle without tripping the engine lite. MAF, TPS and IAC. but 1st when was the last time a tune up was done? plugs, wires, filters etc. you may want to do/check that first. you may have a cluster going bad (speedo). do get the whirring sound sitting still rrevving the eng up?

·
Registered
102 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
mornin', and thanks for the reply.

I changed the plugs recently, and over the summer I checked and serviced the MAF and TPS. I don't remember ever dealing with the IAC.

I'm not sure if it whirrs when I rev in neutral, good thought.

The check engine light has started coming on periodically, when idling. It turns off once I get going down the road. There has been a loss in power over time, but honestly I'm never sure if I'm imagining it..

The truck needs to get the state safety inspection this week - think it's worth having the garage check the timing (I don't have a light) while it's in there?

I'll see what the new code is tonight.

thanks!

·
Registered
102 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I did the plugs, wires, filters, cleaned the MAF and checked the TPS.

I checked the error code last night (light comes on sometimes at low speeds) and it pointed me to the air temp sensor. Sure enough, broken wire. I just need a new plug there...this is the second time I've had to re-solder this wire.

The truck is in the shop today for state safety inspection. While it's there, I asked them to just check the ignition timing for me. I'm curious. I don't have the equipment to do it myself. I've had the truck for about a year (and 33,000 miles) so I figure it can't hurt.

·
Registered
102 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
tech said the ignition timing was fine. he suggested many of the things that you did, as well as checking the coil.

I'll check my book for info on testing the coil and on how to check (or when to replace) the cap and rotor.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts