1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Hello,

I am new to this forum so forgive me if this is a common question. I picked up
a 92 nissan SE a few weeks ago, and I am having a problem with it. The car
will normally run fine (actually great) for full days at a time. Then out of the
blue, it will begin to idle really rough, and run as though it is only firing on
three cylinders (like me sometimes). Sometimes it will run this way for a few
minutes then return to normal. Other times it will run this way for extended
periods. I was told to start by checking the idle speed control (ISC) valve.
But my Haynes seems to indicate that these are present up to model year
1990 ??. The car has over 145K on it, so I will be checking/changing all the
usual stuff (belts/plugs/wires/cap/rotor..etc), but any guidance toward
where this problem might live will be much appreciated.

Kev-

oh yeah, any special warnings for clutch replacements will be well received
also.

·
Registered
450 Posts
I lost an injector at about 150,000 miles and a plug wire shorted out on one cylinder at about 168,000 miles. Both caused it to run on 3 cylinders. When you are having the problem, you could pull the plug wires one at a time. When you get to the cylinder that does not make a difference in how it runs, then it is probably the plug wire or injector. My mechanic also pulled the wiring harness off the injector to isolate the problem. I could not figure out how to remove the injector harness. :) But, if you are going to replace the wires, you may not need to do the above test. I am on my second set of plug wires. OEM ones lasted 85,000 miles or so, and aftermarket ones lasted about the same. Also, I have found the stock NGK plugs work very well. As someone stated in another post, they are the best bang for the buck. Regarding the Idle Air Control Valve, I posted some pictures when I cleaned mine. I had a problem of my car stumbling, hesitating from a stop, and sometimes stalling when the AC kicked on. Cleaning it and the throttle body took care of most of my problems, but your symptoms sound more like an injector or a wire (in my limited experience). Welcome aboard!

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Help,

I tried to take a short cut changing out an injector and screwed up. While
trying to remove an injector without taking off the intake manifold, I left the
little plastic piece at the very tip of the injector in the port. Any ideas how
to undo this little stroke of genius??

Kev-(just call me :dumbass: )

·
Registered
450 Posts
I don't, since I took my car to the mechanic when I had an injector problem. I was afraid I would break things. :thumbup: Maybe a search would provide some helpful info, or posting a question specificially about the injector tip removal. I have been there with other repairs. I have about a 50% success rate lately. Usually something breaks or goes wrong, so I feel your pain. :) Good luck!

1 - 4 of 4 Posts