Nissan Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
first post, first big problem with my 90 GA16i.

I started hearing a slight ticking sound, but it would go away. I thought it just needed an oil change, it was over due, and it has an oil leak (I lose about 1/2 quart every 3k miles). I was on a weekday, so I held off to do it on the weekend.

The Day after it was ticking when I first started it, but it went away. After driving around, at the end of the day, it was really loud, and it seemed like it was misfiring, judging from the exhaust pulses. I got home from work fine.

So I open the valve cover, and one of the rocker arm shaft bolts was just lying there, resting on the rocker arms. this bolt was the closest to the pulleys. and the bolt right next to it was halfway out, the 3 left were fine.

I loosened all the bolts, and tightened them starting from middle going out. But it was still clanking, I even changed the oil, I actually switched to a 20w50, probably a bad idea.

So, what kind of problem would this be?
Thanks!

·
Ex-mod/nissan guru
2,136 Posts
get back to the regular oil youve been using before, it will help the cold start. Also since you got all those bolt torqued you should check the valve lash clearance. might have moved ...

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
would improper lash clearance cause misfiring? I read in my haynes manual that my year engine has rocker arms with a hydraulic lash, no adjustment necessary, how does that work?

·
Moved on...Ciao!
629 Posts
Lazarus_023 said:
... ... ...
At least we can't call you an idiot...

Didja check them bolts to make sure those little clip-on locks were on to keep them from turning out again? Glad you caught it...that can break a rocker shaft. Best to ya!

·
Garage Sultan
1,173 Posts
If you found the rocker arm on its side its hydraulic adjuster may be damaged. The GA16i has hydraulic lash adjusters (that are not easily adjustable BTW) that are integrated into the rocker arms. If a rocker arm is placed on its side, air can enter and oil will leak out, preventing the hydraulic adjuster from working correctly when it is reinstalled. To correct this, remove the arm that fell out and submerge it in a pan of oil to get any air out and refill the adjuster. Ensure that you keep the arm in an upright position after this to prevent air from entering again during the reinstall.

It may also be a timing chain problem... If you lost a rocker arm it may have briefly jammed or put pressure on the timing chain setup. This would have snapped the plastic timing chain guide causing the chain to scrape or clank off the block and timing cover. If your clanking sounds like a metallic version of diesel engine this might be it.

-Nick

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
warning! Long message!

thanks for the replies.

None of the rocker arms were off the shaft. Since I didn't know which rocker arm/arms were dead, I bought all 12 new ones, heh. So after $300, started it up and the clicking slowly went away.

But now I got another problem!

The day after I took the car around town, at the first stop light, it died. no stutter, no bucking, just shut down. Started it and idled fine, light went green, no problems, although CEL came on. Next light, died again, I turned on my A/C to keep it from dying, worked for the day, and the CEL went off.

Next day was a work day, drove to work, got off the freeway, no problems! After an hour in the office, I started the car and it died! WTF? Started it again, with A/C on, didn't work this time, died. So to get home I had to feather the throttle whenever I come to a full stop.

At home, figured it might be timing, adjusted the timing 7BTDC, idling great! Took it for a spin, and it starts bucking! Buck buck went the Sentra, and CEL came on, code 23, Idle switch? I adjusted what I thought was Idle control: a bolt with a spring, on the throttle control lever. It adjusted the idle, but only by opening the throttle plate using that bolt. I don't think it's idle control. But I left it so it idles higher than normal, enough to keep my foot off the gas pedal at stops.

Found the idle switch! left side of throttle body. Checked the idle switch, something fell out, didn't notice it, it was windy. Looked clean in there otherwise. Put it back together and started, now idles way too high. I was adjusting that bolt again, set it to where it was, and no change in idle, I still had the TPS connected tho. Will try with it disconnected tomorow.

Went to the store and bought the following:
Air Filter
PCV Valve
Fuel Filter
O2 Sensor
Mechanix Gloves

Would replacing the rocker arms cause all this? The car wasn't started/running for about 2 weeks before I got the rocker arms issue resolved, now this? Anybody wanna buy a Sentra? It's in great running condition!

1 - 7 of 7 Posts