Nissan Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
63 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey I just bought a rim off ebay to put on my car because one of my rims was scuffed pretty bad and my tire was about to blow.You can tell a big difference in the rim that was just put on and the old one's because its appearance is cleaner and glossier.What could I do to get the other three rims looking like the new one?Thanks

·
Banned
4,308 Posts
they are "WHEELS" a rim is the outer top edge of the wheel :thumbup:

have you tried simple green? or an acid base cleaner? pro detailers use this but you will need to wax you wheels after, and then you will need to wash and wax your wheels just like your car (they are painted so treat them well) if worst comes to worst, stripe them and re paint them or powder coat them. (if you powder coat, you will not need to worry much about them because PC is very strong)

·
Gotta Represent
403 Posts
i do not think that powdercoating should even be an option. a friend of mine with an rsx powdercoated his stock rims black, and then i think he hit a curb or something and some of it got scraped off, looked bad. he had to powdecoat the whole thing again, if he had paint, he could have just repainted that area again, so go with paint, and alot of clear!

·
Whoa...
2,073 Posts
white_chocolate said:
Hey I just bought a rim off ebay to put on my car because one of my rims was scuffed pretty bad and my tire was about to blow.You can tell a big difference in the rim that was just put on and the old one's because its appearance is cleaner and glossier.What could I do to get the other three rims looking like the new one?Thanks
i don't know what kind of car you have, or what year, but as said before, wheels are painted nd cleared, so you may have some brakedust burn or oxidation on the paint of your wheels, while the new one was taken care of... as stated before, get some acidic wheel cleaner, scrub the shit out of your wheels and WAX them!! wax all 4 even the new one so they will have the same protection on them.. put the newest rim on the same side of your car as the best looking old one, hopefully after the scrub and rewax thew should look close to the same... wheels need the same(if not more) maitenance as your car's paint because they get more debris and brakedust flung at them... they are a painted piece of your car, treat them just like you would treat your hood...

·
Whoa...
2,073 Posts
with the 7 star "sawblade" rims? yea, those suck, i bet the flat outer surface is what is glossier on the new rim huh?

i had the same rims on my 96 se, just get in there with some acid and scrub... use an old toothbrush on the rougher sections to work it in there, and remember to do this outside!.. when you wax them, only way the flat parts, not the rough inner peices of the rim...

·
Banned
4,308 Posts
^ happend to my 14in sawblades. the saw blade part acts like a pocet and all the brake dust sits in there and works it way into the paint. they the clear coat started to spider web and haze, so i repainted them and it looks like CRAP! but thats because i was stupid and for some reason didnt sand before i painted :rolleyes:

·
Registered
63 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Could I just polish them alot and it bring them closer together in clarity or would I have to repaint them and clear coat them?

·
Banned
4,308 Posts
try cleaning the hell out of them before you re paint.

·
Registered
63 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
What kind of acidic cleaner do I use?How many times would you suggest i clean them until they look about the same as the new one or will cleaning them that much actually hurt the rims?

·
Banned
4,308 Posts
i would think at a certain point it would start eating the clear coat. blank, does clay bar work on wheels? i would think so, try that first. <it wont hurt ANYTHING at all. its worth a try.

·
Whoa...
2,073 Posts
clay bar would work i guess, but it really isnt meant for that kind of application... there are a number of different acidic clewaners, look for a no scrub kind... dont clean too muckh with acid.. once or twice max, then rewax... you should use an acid for restoration then a non acid for maintanance... and be careful with the acid, the fumes can screw you up if inhaled deeply, and wear rubber gloves!

1 - 14 of 14 Posts