Nissan Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey all! i am getting ready to make a 17 inch wheel and tire purchase,Sacchis and toyo proxy 4, and the only thing i am hesitant of, is potential pothole damage from neglected long island highway roads.i am asking for your advice, is it really worth the risk? Yes it will look great... but i am nervous about spending over a grand only to possibly ruin my new rims... or worse blow out a tire at highway speeds? any opinions will be helpful! thank you

·
Powered By hopes & dreams
8,328 Posts
if you're going to get rims and tires....don't get low profile tires with a short sidewall as a short sidewall will increase the likelihood of damaging the rims.

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
chimmike said:
if you're going to get rims and tires....don't get low profile tires with a short sidewall as a short sidewall will increase the likelihood of damaging the rims.
then i feel it isnt even worth spending the loot. a 16 inch wheel wont look like much.

·
Not Anymore.
5,014 Posts
Are the wheels cast aluminum (most likely), forged aluminum or magnesium (very unlikely)? As far as lower profiles protecting rims, the Yoko ES100 does a good job at is as I have 17s on my Sentra and if you ever been to Baltimore, you will remember the quality of many of the roads. I have had 2 sets of ES100s over the past 2 years and I have never bent a rim on these wheels. Mind you, I try to avoid huge potholes but every now and then I get caught offguard.

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
i think they are cast aluminum.as far as tires i really only will look at bf goodrich or toyo..so my options are slim

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
NickZac said:
Are the wheels cast aluminum (most likely), forged aluminum or magnesium (very unlikely)? As far as lower profiles protecting rims, the Yoko ES100 does a good job at is as I have 17s on my Sentra and if you ever been to Baltimore, you will remember the quality of many of the roads. I have had 2 sets of ES100s over the past 2 years and I have never bent a rim on these wheels. Mind you, I try to avoid huge potholes but every now and then I get caught offguard.
i have checked out this es100.. looks very nice and the reviews are very good. but if i am looking at a 215-45-17 size how will this tire protect me better than a toyo proxy 4??

·
I am Popo Bawa
220 Posts
with the 215/45/17, you should be fine. I've smacked some pretty good sized potholes w/my stock wheels and tires and have not bent my wheels.

I am currently in the market for new wheels and tires myself. The guys at a shop were trying to talk me into going w/18's, and I just laughed. I think it was a 215/40/18 or maybe a 215/35/18, I can't remember which, but the 40's were so thin I couldn't imagine putting them on my car.

·
I WANT BOOST !!!
214 Posts
good luck. long island roads are terrible. my friend had 17 inch tsw's with toyo proxies. he cracked one of his rims from hitting a pot hole. best advice is make sure you get new rims. dont get discontinued rims cause if you do and then you actually crack one your gonna be shit out of luck. this happened to my friend and he had to buy four more tsw's off ebay because he couldnt find/buy just one rim because they were discontinued.

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I think i found a solution!! i am more concerned with tires, as i am rims, so toyo proxy 4 makes a 205-55-15 that nissan tells me will fit on my stock 15 inch rim. my stock tire size is a 195-60-15. so it is only a +0 fitment. well i will let you all know at the end of march! boy these nokians really like to wander on the highway!! :)

·
Registered
91 Posts
freakin A , i hate pot holes. . . but you are stickin with the 15s! nice haha

15's are good for rallying and doing all kinds of shit without having to worry about the rim or tire

i think i'm going to actually buy a set of 4 cheap 15's for my sentra so i can do a little offroading. . . that's why they call me crazy ! ! !

1 - 10 of 10 Posts