Nissan Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
430 Posts
a: are the struts brand new from the aftermarket? (are they used)
b: there any other problem with your rear suspension? (the coil springs still good)
c: the axle braces good and straight?

have to look at it for more i guess..

·
Registered
430 Posts
if you installed both sides...
i'm guessin it's a bad spring...

ride height comes back into shape when you stop the car...
it's when you hit a dip you gotta worry.
if the spring is out of tension... then it's just gonna unload the shock WAY too fast.

the only other idea i can come up with it human error on the install, but that doesn't work either cuz you installed both sides.

if the entire suspension looks good (including the bushings and joints)...
it's gotta be the spring.

·
Registered
430 Posts
either way.... wouldn't it make sense that if they are shorter... then the springs would take up the slack.. and if the shocks were longer, then they'd overload???

·
Registered
430 Posts
LOL, you can easily forget that your car's been owned by 5 other ppl..

a halfass fix on a 4 point suspension can easily cause probs down the road.

another reason i don't like seeing someone spend thousands of dollars on a car and then hungry theives force him to sell it for ultracheap just cuz the wifey thinks they need a whole new house for one kid.

·
Registered
430 Posts
bushings are always a good thing to replace.

just be sure you preload them correctly...
you tighten them down in the wrong position and when you lower the car down it'll tear them right up.

·
Registered
430 Posts
tell ya the truth, this is one of the thing i still need to learn up on.

when you think about it... you're first idea of puttin the weight on jackstands, but the wheels touching is a good idea... simply cuz when you put it down to the ground it will be already pushing up on it...

but then again i think it depends on what you're doing here...

with what the second idea stated... when you tight them with the car's weight down... then that means when you hit a bump in the road.. the bushings are set to come back to the position of where it was installed...

this is somethign i've thought on a lot...
but i'm sure it's just an easy thing to learn...

another thing i've thought on, is that you can load the bushings to different loads, that way... you have particular settings... i think similar to what racecars do.. you know what i mean? to where if you tighten them to a particular load height then it will give you different ride settings.

this is taking into account though that with regular autozone bushings... if they aren't tightened to the right spot... when you drive around those cheap ass bushings will just rip in thier sockets... i think adjusting preloading would be more towards performance bushings...

but i can garuntee you the dealership bushings were preloaded at a particular height.

·
Registered
430 Posts
that makes a lot of sense..

bushings and tension rods are only made for one thing.

they bring the suspension back to the original height and location.

if you tighten your bushings at curb weight, then the suspension will enivetable go up and down, but it will bring it back to the original correct riding position.

right?

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.