Nissan Forum banner

Riddle me this

951 views 4 replies 4 participants last post by  rogoman 
#1 ·
I have a 94 Nissan Altima. The battery was dead, so i replaced that this morning. Car started right up and i drove it to my garage and parked it.

I then proceeded to replace the valve cover gasket. Put everything back together and now the car wont start.

The only thing that i touched that has to do with the car starting was the spark plug wires.

Im stumped. Everything is hooked up right. What am i missing?

#4 ·
The battery started probably because it was new. But if the alternator is bad, then it wouldn't have been charging the battery while you drove the car, thereby depleting it of it's charge. Hence the non-start the next time you attempted to start the engine. So the problem might not have been with the battery at all. It doesn't matter how many repairs you give your car if you don't find and fix the cause of the problem. Suggest you check the alternator.

#5 ·
Does the engine turn over at all? If it turns over but fails to start up, then the spark plug wires may be wired up wrong. If totally dead, then like everyone says, the alternator is probably bad.

Without starting the motor, turn on the headlights. If they are bright, then you've got an electrical problem that you may have created when replacing the valve cover gasket.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.