Nissan Forum banner

1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Banned
395 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
ok, i have an automatic transmission, and i keep hearing that revving your car in neutral then shifting to drive really messes up your tranny.......is this true?if so how/why? i have done this about 3-4 times a while back........i dont wann jack up my trans(expensive) i have however downshifted from drive to 2nd in my auto, usually when i'm going like 40MPH and shift before i hit 60MPH, does this also cause damage? thanks

·
freakish poster
1,236 Posts
Don't do it. It WILL ruin your trans, I promise. Downshifting it while going fast though won't harm it.

·
pay your rent!
601 Posts
its like dumping the cluch at 5000 rpm's every time. the cluch will eventually be crap, only you dont have a cluch, you have a shit more stuff to break, and a hell of allot more expensive.

an old story: my ex girl freind's car was a 95 berreta (sp?) anyway i nutrel droped that car once, it was cool, there was a really loud POP! then the wheels started spining and we where engulfed in thick white smoke, any way that pop cannot be good.
plus i was getting smacked the whole time.

moral: if you nutral drop make sure its not your car!

p.s. I CANT SPELL TODAY!!!

·
Banned
809 Posts
lol, i did that in my old car.. alot.. an auto Ford.. It first off, jumps your engine 3-5 inches... thats a HUGE diff... It breaks the connecting bolts from tranny to engine, as well as dissables your 1-2-3-4-OD action.. in my car, it wouldnt shift gears... You had to max out from 40 MPH in 1st, then it would make a LOUD ASS WHACK noise, then shift to second.. then you have to go to 70 to shift to 3rd.. and so on

·
Dan the car meet man
404 Posts
The Neutral to 1st drop will either damage the #1 - converter, #2 - differential, or #3 - internals each time. On the different trannies that I had, the first one (stock & stock everything) died after 3 neutral drops. (I wish I never knew that trick of Neutral to 1st!) The converter was the first thing to crash, then it spit shards of metal throughout the tranny... causing the need for a rebuild.

·
Registered
1,392 Posts
Damn Dan....I've done that a couple of times in the past....addictive, till I found out it could kill the tranny. Haven't touched it in over 1.5 years. Damn....I sound like a drug addict. :D

·
DNE's VZR Conversion
6,079 Posts
i dont recommend doing it.. i did it many many times with my previous vehicles and blew many trannies.

what im curious if i turn of OD while going on freeway up hill will it damage tranny?

cuz i do that alot to gain speed going up a hill.

·
No Nissan Yet
139 Posts
try this for an example. your in a car doing 60. get out and start running! oops, broken legs....

·
DNE's VZR Conversion
6,079 Posts
i have no idea dude

·
S12 Fanatic
211 Posts
How about this? One time in high school I was in my friend's dad's Ford F150 in the school parking lot after an exam. Another idiot FORMER friend of mine had his parents' Suzuki Sidekick and thought he was a badass. We were parked next to each other driver-to-driver talking in the middle of the empty lot. He goes to leave, and thinks it would be cool to do a neutral drop, revs it up, and drops it into gear. What he didn't realize was that his wheels were cranked to the left. He proceeded to peel out right into the rear quarter of the F150! He did like $1100 damage to the front of the POS Suzuki. :rolleyes:
More risks associated with Neutral drops..........

·
Please Shift Here
6,696 Posts
Neutral drop = Bad
it will mess up your tranny real fast. If you want to do it right, mash down on the brake and rev lightly, then release the brake and floor the gas (basically treat the brake petal like the clutch petal. I don't see why it's so popular, all you're really doing is breaking your valuable traction.

Shifting gears = OK
so long as you don't over rev, it won't really hurt (that much).

·
freakish poster
1,236 Posts
You can't ruin anything by downshifting an auto at high speeds, because it won't allow the gear change until a certain speed maximum and below has been met. I still wouldn't do it on a daily basis though.

·
Your electrical friend
2,177 Posts
I don't understand automatic trannies at all. We had my wife's '97 Grand Am at the 1/4 mile track and decided it'd be fun to run it. So we plan to drive it in low gear until it gets close to redline and shift. Doesn't matter, the car fucking shifts when it wants to. So the whole point of the gear selector? Then there is the '98 Chevy 1500 we have at work. Some jackass that worked for us used to drive with it in 3rd all the time. Ruined the tranny somehow. Case in point, auto trannies are expensive, vary too much in how they can operate and they suck.

·
Please Shift Here
6,696 Posts
Centurion said:
You can't ruin anything by downshifting an auto at high speeds, because it won't allow the gear change until a certain speed maximum and below has been met. I still wouldn't do it on a daily basis though.
wrong, that only works for 1st gear. If I'm going 40mph, and I drop it into 1st, it will not make the switch until I reach 25 or so (when it does, it will be a hell of a jolt too). However, I'f I'm going 100mph and I drop it into 2nd, it will go and then I'll blow my tranny, motor, and such.

·
Please Shift Here
6,696 Posts
toolapcfan said:
I don't understand automatic trannies at all. We had my wife's '97 Grand Am at the 1/4 mile track and decided it's be fun to run it. So we plan to drive it it low gear until it gets close to redline and shift. Doesn't matter, the car fucking shifts when it wants to. So the whole point of the gear selector? Then there is the '98 Chevy 1500 we have at work. Some jackass that worked for us used to drive with it in 3rd all the time. Ruined the tranny somehow. Case in point, auto trannies are expensive, vary too much in how they can operate and they suck.
yeah, all cars are different. On mine, I start in 1st, then click to 2nd and so on and it will drive like normal (except I can select my shift points). On a civic EX, if my friend shifts into 1st to start out, the engine cuts the fuel for some reason so if you floor it in 1st, it feels like you're only at 1/4 throttle.

(I think they do that b/c hondas have no torque. Being that 1st gear is a pulling gear [on mountain roads], I guess by revving slower, you can make up some of the torque). <---only thing I could come up with.

Oh, also...not all cars can be shifted. I heard that a Maxima tranny can't handle auto-sticking, but my sentra would be ok.

1 - 20 of 31 Posts