Nissan Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
205 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello everyone, I'm an addicted Nissan 200sx se-r owner and require help to end my madness, do we offer group therapy at this site for my conditions?

Seriously, I've been searching the site (love it btw, although I have not been posting till recently I've been coming here for several months 'getting to know' people) for exhaust info and opinions. I bought my 97 se-r new off a dealer lot that was no longer getting them, they never even got the 98 200's...odd. I love the car, it sat on the lot for a year before I bought it with 90 miles on it for $13000 loaded minus abs (hate abs, personal issues, heh) and after about 2 years of seeing how this car can perform and the past year or so of researching on and off about sr20 motors I realized it's probably the best 13k I ever spent or ever will spend....but I digress.

Back to the exhaust request, I'm really looking for opinions and/or facts on the various exhausts available. Particularly the greddy, stillen, hks and stromung exhausts. The one I want to purchase would be one that has a 'close to stock' look and preferably doesn't appear to be aftermarket in sound until you throttle it hard. I have seen pictures of most on and off the car but I want to hear what others think that have it actually in place.

Which exhausts do you guys have and how do you like it and have you experienced any problems installing it or any problems after install (rust, odd rattling, hanging too low, too close to the bumper, etc.)?

Sorry for the long post, wanted to introduce myself and ask the question at the same time and I ended up being a bit wordy :rolleyes:

·
DNE's VZR Conversion
6,079 Posts
well with all your listing i say go stromung.. that is closest youll get..

·
Its a JEEP thing...
388 Posts
Out of the systems you listed, I would have to agree..Stromung will be the closest to stock look I believe....although, you could get the GReddy, or HKS, and have a smaller 3 in rolled tip welded on, and it will look closer to stock. I wouldnt get the Stillen...unless you have money to burn....:D

·
Registered
205 Posts
Discussion Starter #4 (Edited)
I wouldnt get the Stillen...unless you have money to burn....
Oddly enough, the greddy and hks models were going for twice the stillen exhaust, but the stillen is only the rear sections (muffler only) the hks and greddy are full cat back systems...either way though, the Stillen from only one source I've found is supposedly LOUD, even at idle but apparently has a nice tone. I'll probably have to drop the close to stock look in favor of quality/sound though. I'm hoping the opinions will help me decide on what I'll end up with because right now my only option would be to just go out and buy all 4 so that I can cope with whatever mood I'm in! Wish I had that kind of money, lol :D

--edit--

Gah, I just went to stromung's web site for more specific info on their exhaust and only the subaru is listed and worse yet, I tried to send an email to get more info that way and the email address doesn't work. I know a few of you have it as I've seen it mentioned, but who/where did you get info on it? Thanks for all the help so far :)

·
DNE's VZR Conversion
6,079 Posts
alot of them got it from Mossy Nissan.. i can get you a stromung cat back exhaust for you. but PM me if you wanna know my price for the stromung.

·
Platinum
462 Posts
From my experience...

I wouldn't get the $tealen exhaust either. I heard they are crap. First of all, it's just rear section as you mentioned. Second, it sound like shit (IMO). And I heard they rust... Greddy, I used to own it. I loved the deep sound until i got headers installed. (got noisyer... but i have 1.6L so maybe different with SR20) Greddy exhausts are high quality and looks beautiful. One thing! They also look ricey because of the huge shiny 130mm tip.
I don't know much about HKS. But I know for sure, HKS does make quality products. I think it comes with less ricey (smaller tip) muffler too. I am not worried about the quality, but I don't know how that thing sound like. I heard they are quiet though..
$toromung.... My friend has one on his SE-R. Make sure you get "resonated" one.. Non resonated ones are pretty loud "high tone sound" and It gets really anooying after a while... Quality seems to be pretty decent...

I hope it helps... Now you decide ;)

·
Registered
52 Posts
If you want something cheaper, I suggest building one your own. I bought all the parts I needed for around $150 from Jeg's(mandrel bends, resonator, muffler, resonated tip). Paid another $200 for the muffler shop to install them.

Whats nice is that its your own custom exhaust. No one else will have it...well, unless someone else bought the same kind of pieces. :)

L

·
0 Posts
this here is what i got
http://www.magnaflow.com/03mirrorrace2pg.htm
model number 14843

I did the whole setup with 2" mandrel bent tubing.. high Flow cat and kept the silencer .. my shit sounds nice ass fuck.. not like a can of bees.. sounds nice and mellow when at idle.. but once you are almost at full throttle it sounds like a fuckin beast ... cant wait to get my HS headers incorported with the whole exhaust.. not to mention that the CAI makes it sound really good too..

·
Registered
205 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Thanks guys for the help, I'd been leaning towards the Greddy exhaust for some time but I didn't care for the look of the tip but I guess that can fairly simply remidied. Only reason I had considered the Stillen is due to the fact that almost every article I've been able to find on exhausts for the se-r models post 95 I believe kept saying one thing that was consistent, apparently the stock cat is about as free flowing as it gets and many suggested unless you were moving to turbo and/or nitrous in the future the money to get one didn't really make sense for the slight gain (if I remember right, most stated that there was a maximun 1 hp and no noticable torque gain on the dyno in n/a form if you just swap the b-pipe) so the $233 price plus Stillen's usual name of nissan aftermarket quality parts was attractive when looking at Greddy and HKS' $500+ prices with full cat. The Greddy itself had worried me though because I kept hearing many people had problems with them rusting early but it seems they have fixed that in the past 6-7 months or something and I could find very little info on HKS or Stromung but I liked to look.../sigh, I feel like a woman in a clothing store :D

L

·
0 Posts
97PocketRocket said:
sigh, I feel like a woman in a clothing store :D

Owning nissans we should all feel like that.. Shit we cant run to our local nieghborhood Pepboys or AutoZone to pic up Strut Bars and Exhausts for out Nissans unlike honda owners.. so shit feel proud you feel like that..

·
Registered
205 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
we cant run to our local nieghborhood Pepboys or AutoZone to pic up Strut Bars and Exhausts for out Nissans unlike honda owners
No kidding, then again, we have a challenge, honda owners just do what 10,000,000,000 other early 90's civic owners have done and they still sound like a Singer Sewing Machine...most move like one too :)

L

·
0 Posts
97PocketRocket said:

No kidding, then again, we have a challenge, honda owners just do what 10,000,000,000 other early 90's civic owners have done and they still sound like a Singer Sewing Machine...most move like one too :)
ROTFLMMFAO hahahahahahah damn dats too funny... your right about that one.. hahahahahahah

1 - 13 of 13 Posts