Nissan Forum banner

Replacing timing belt

2K views 10 replies 4 participants last post by  Slacky 
#1 ·
I just bought a new belt and im going to change it myself, do you have any recomendations or instructions on this.
Thanks

#2 ·
as long as your good with your hands and are organized about things u should be fine its farly easy, i hope u have a good set of tools to help u along smoothly. and if your gonna take all that apart think about changing the water pump and replacing all the other belts if they look like they need it. o and see if u can pick up a manual for cheap just to help u along if u need it

#3 ·
I have the e16 (ga16 and sr20 manuals too) fsm in pdf format, tell me where can I send it to you (around 9 megs)
Besides all posted above I would add to replace the front seals in case you have some mechanical experience

#8 ·
hey im doing the same thing pretty much except that i'm replacing the timing chain guide to say the truth its going to be a pain in the ass so be ready.you need to take the passenger tire off and laeve teh car up on jacks. remove all the skid plaates on the passanger side of the front as well as the fender well. you'll have to remove the alternator, ac compressor, and powersteering pump and their respective mounts as well. remove the passenger side engine mount. take the water pump off and the chain tensioner thats located behind the top left side of the valve cover. now if you dont have an air gun at your disposal getting the pully off will be a bitch, what you can do is use a a long steel pipe (to extend the arm of your wrench to give you more levrage) and position the pipe so that the end of it is against the ground and providing enough pressure that it stays up. while that is set up you can have someone else turn the engine(start) enough that it doesn't begin to run. the force of the engine will break the bolt loose so that you can take the pulley off. after removing ALL bolts from the cover you'll have to remove the oil pan and desconnect the oil pump from the cover after this you should be able to take the cover off with a little work. now i cant remember what what esle you have to take off once you are there but i can look for my hayes repair manual and tell you how to remove and install the rest off chain. and heck if you have a cell you can even give me a call plus if it helps i even know spanish( im mexican what can i say) . now to say the truth i should be doing this romorrow but how can i be working on my car when grand tourismo 4 comes out tomorrow and its all ready paid for. well good luck man peace

#9 ·
nocturnal_angel said:
hey im doing the same thing pretty much except that i'm replacing the timing chain guide to say the truth its going to be a pain in the ass so be ready.you need to take the passenger tire off and laeve teh car up on jacks. remove all the skid plaates on the passanger side of the front as well as the fender well. you'll have to remove the alternator, ac compressor, and powersteering pump and their respective mounts as well. remove the passenger side engine mount. take the water pump off and the chain tensioner thats located behind the top left side of the valve cover. now if you dont have an air gun at your disposal getting the pully off will be a bitch, what you can do is use a a long steel pipe (to extend the arm of your wrench to give you more levrage) and position the pipe so that the end of it is against the ground and providing enough pressure that it stays up. while that is set up you can have someone else turn the engine(start) enough that it doesn't begin to run. the force of the engine will break the bolt loose so that you can take the pulley off. after removing ALL bolts from the cover you'll have to remove the oil pan and desconnect the oil pump from the cover after this you should be able to take the cover off with a little work. now i cant remember what what esle you have to take off once you are there but i can look for my hayes repair manual and tell you how to remove and install the rest off chain. and heck if you have a cell you can even give me a call plus if it helps i even know spanish( im mexican what can i say) . now to say the truth i should be doing this romorrow but how can i be working on my car when grand tourismo 4 comes out tomorrow and its all ready paid for. well good luck man peace

Well, i did the job on monday, it was lot easier than what you say, i guess because its a belt.
First i removed the AC and alternator belts, not the alternator nor the ac compressor, they stayed put. Then i pulled out the water pump pulley, not the pump. To loosen the main pulley i pulled out all the spark plugs and got the engin to btdc,before compresion starts and the valves on cilinder 1 are closed. I got a small rope and started to put it in the cilinder thru the spark hole, i saw this done a long time ago. after stuffing all the rope you can, you unbolt the pulley, the rope wont let the engine rotate.
Then i removed the belt cover and changed the belt. i didnt have to remove anything else.
I got everything together and started the engine with no trouble at all.
Dont know what engine you have, but maybe its different

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.