Nissan Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys, I'm needing some help here...... I am getting a loud clicking noise when I am running my engine. I herd that it might be my Shims in the cam valves. So I started to look at my owners manual and its says that they should get serviced every 60k, well i'm at 80k. My question is there a simple way of taking of the valve shims. Do I really need to buy that special valve lifter tool. Can anyone give me a hand on how to replace the shims in my nissan 200 sx GA16 engine.

Any help would be appreciated. IM stuck !

:cheers:

·
Registered
2018 Nissan Pathfinder SL
4,272 Posts
sparky7474 said:
Hey guys, I'm needing some help here...... I am getting a loud clicking noise when I am running my engine. I herd that it might be my Shims in the cam valves. So I started to look at my owners manual and its says that they should get serviced every 60k, well i'm at 80k. My question is there a simple way of taking of the valve shims. Do I really need to buy that special valve lifter tool. Can anyone give me a hand on how to replace the shims in my nissan 200 sx GA16 engine.

Any help would be appreciated. IM stuck !

:cheers:
What year is your Car ?
I believed my 97 had a hydraulic adjuster like my Subaru but I could be wrong....
Anyone ??

·
i pwn your mom
5,439 Posts
the clickin that you are hearing is prolly the timing chain tensioners, the upper is an easy replacement, but the lower sucks.. search for timing tensioners and you will find everything you need

·
Registered
4,272 Posts
James said:
they're all mechanical. some dumbass tech at nissan told me before that they were hydraulic and I believed him and was rightfully corrected... Look in any year fsm.
Sorry I was being lazy, yes you are right of course......
Shim avail in 50 sizes......
Just like my Toyota Camry V6 and my Jaguar.
How often are you meant to check the clearance?
Both my Toyota and my Jaguar say at 60,000 intervals.
I do not recall seeing this in my Sentra owners manual, and don't have one here on my computer.

·
Registered
4,272 Posts
psuLemon said:
Yes I have it downloaded, Thanks.
My question is what is the service interval for checking the valve clearance, I do not remember ever seeing it for my B14 ??? I looked in the FSM and still do not see it in the maintainance section.
Thanks Ian.

·
i pwn your mom
5,439 Posts
actually, i think i remember hearin that it shouldnt need to be checked, i know it does on toyotas and hondas because their setups tend to throw it off.... do a forum search cuz i think it was in the general or N/A section

·
Registered
4,272 Posts
psuLemon said:
actually, i think i remember hearin that it shouldnt need to be checked, i know it does on toyotas and hondas because their setups tend to throw it off.... do a forum search cuz i think it was in the general or N/A section
searched and nothing came up. Maybe my English phrasing.....

·
Registered
1,818 Posts
It is in the Factory Service Manual you downloaded in the MA section. My 1997 manual says to check the valve clearance if "valve noise increases". There was no specified interval.

Lew

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
lshadoff said:
It is in the Factory Service Manual you downloaded in the MA section. My 1997 manual says to check the valve clearance if "valve noise increases". There was no specified interval.

Lew
Yeah that's what my FSM says as well; I own a 1998 Nissan 200sx and it says the same but I bought a book from one of our auto-parts store out here and its says that the cam valves should be adjusted every 60k miles. I'm kind of confused. Is it the cam valve shims or the timing tensionner. Can I run the engine without the cam valve top on? So that I can see where the noise is coming from ? Here is there a nissan 200sx ga16 chat room? That would be most helpful to me. as I am a begginer. Thx for the info guy. I do appareciate all the help.

Sparky7474 the NEWbie

·
Wise Cracker
5,730 Posts
I advise against rnning your car with the valve cover off. The other thing you may want to buy is a stethoscope. You can then listen to specific areas of the engine and pinpoint where the noise is coming from.

A visual inspection of the tensioner will tell you if it is bad. And you can use shims to check the tolerances on the shims.

·
in^3,N20,RPM,PSI
4,652 Posts
wes said:
I advise against rnning your car with the valve cover off. The other thing you may want to buy is a stethoscope. You can then listen to specific areas of the engine and pinpoint where the noise is coming from.

A visual inspection of the tensioner will tell you if it is bad. And you can use shims to check the tolerances on the shims.
A long screwdriver can function as a stethescope too if you are in a pinch, just press it against your ear and probe the various areas.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Hey james thanks for the tips.. I also live n S. Cali in Riverside county. Are you in a nissan club down there or just a mechanic on your own. I could sure use some expeience teaching from someone who is knowlegable with the nissan 200 sx. Let me know I could sure use some help. Maybe we can get together and chat about this stuff I coulf really use your HELp Thanks

1 - 15 of 15 Posts