Nissan Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all, new to the forum here. I just acquired a 99 sentra GXE with a blown engine (top timing chain tensioner borked itself while on the highway) so I am going to be getting a complete motor from a japanese importer.

I am unfamiliar with Nissans (well... anything newer then a datsun 510 heh, im coming over from the german car market) so figured I would see if you all have any suggestions on what I should address while the motor is out? From what I have read it seems the timing tensioners have issues in general (top and bottom). I will be doing a bench tune-up but figured I would see if there are any other 'must replace' parts while the engines easy to crawl around.

Also, when the car ran i had only driven it once or twice (family members car) and when i did it felt like a pig. Not much performance at all (in fact I was surprised at the lack of power...). The SR20DE/DET swap seems way more in depth for me to be building this as a commuter, and while MPG is important I dont want to feel a dump truck can outrun me uphill. I was thinking of doing some simple bolt ons but should I save it and just toss on a turbo kit? Not sure how reliable the GA16 is turbo'd..

All information greatly appreciated!

·
Registered
2018 Nissan Pathfinder SL
4,241 Posts

·
Registered
505 Posts
Hi all, new to the forum here. I just acquired a 99 sentra GXE with a blown engine (top timing chain tensioner borked itself while on the highway) so I am going to be getting a complete motor from a japanese importer.

I am unfamiliar with Nissans (well... anything newer then a datsun 510 heh, im coming over from the german car market) so figured I would see if you all have any suggestions on what I should address while the motor is out? From what I have read it seems the timing tensioners have issues in general (top and bottom). I will be doing a bench tune-up but figured I would see if there are any other 'must replace' parts while the engines easy to crawl around.

Also, when the car ran i had only driven it once or twice (family members car) and when i did it felt like a pig. Not much performance at all (in fact I was surprised at the lack of power...). The SR20DE/DET swap seems way more in depth for me to be building this as a commuter, and while MPG is important I dont want to feel a dump truck can outrun me uphill. I was thinking of doing some simple bolt ons but should I save it and just toss on a turbo kit? Not sure how reliable the GA16 is turbo'd..

All information greatly appreciated!
Do you know it's actually blown? Did you take it a part? I've seen chains and belts break and not do any damage before.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Well upon further inspection it looks like one of the cam sprockets sheared off inside of the housing, allowing one of the pistons to hit the valves hard enough to nick the cylinder head rendering it useless (also showing some wear on the block from the piston impact, may render that useless as well). The piston that made contact looks toast. Complete engine is $795 so I will be swapping the whole thing out instead of tearing the old one down.

Looks like plans have changed and I will be repairing it for re-sale instead of being my own DD. The 99 Sentra automatic GA16DE doesnt get any better highway mileage then my 91 Audi Quattro it was going to replace as my work commuter, and to be honest the AWD, 5 speed manual, and 200+whp (modified) is much more satisfying to drive (even if just commuting) then an automatic ~80whp econobox. So... anyone looking for a 99 GXE with a fresh motor? ;)

·
Registered
81 Posts
I have been working on keeping my kid's Sentra 200sx cars going the last few years.

Picking up a 1.6L at the salvage yard seams resonable to me or possibly via ebay.

I took my daughter's and another one I bought on ebay last year down to replace timing chains and components. Chains (2), Sprockets (4), tensioners (2), guides (2). This also requires replacing the head gasket. While at it I replaced the water pump, thermostat, lots of hoses. Reseal all the oil leaks with RTV silicone: Oil Pan, Timing Chain Covers (2), New valve cover gasket, etc. Also replaced the crankshaft seals front and rear and resealed rear seal's mounting plate.

A few photos:
Ready for a new timing chain on Flickr - Photo Sharing!

·
Registered
4,241 Posts
Looks like plans have changed and I will be repairing it for re-sale instead of being my own DD. The 99 Sentra automatic GA16DE doesnt get any better highway mileage then my 91 Audi Quattro it was going to replace as my work commuter, and to be honest the AWD, 5 speed manual, and 200+whp (modified) is much more satisfying to drive (even if just commuting) then an automatic ~80whp econobox. So... anyone looking for a 99 GXE with a fresh motor? ;)
Which does better gas mileage ?
A Toyota Prius or a BMW M3 ( don't know whether it was a V8 or the new V-10)
Stock of course.

·
Registered
4,241 Posts
who's going to be the straight man ?

·
Registered
505 Posts
wow. Alot of work for this motor. I know there are a few guys on here with some very high unheard of mileage on this engine....like 500k, 350k, 475k, etc. I hope mine does the same. Just have to keep the body up with the engine!:fluffy:

·
Registered
4,241 Posts
Ok, All knowing one tell the people the answer !!!
And the M3 was a V8, 400+ HP

·
Registered
4,241 Posts
And the top gear top tip was that the driver is more important than car regarding Fuel economy !!

1 - 12 of 12 Posts