Nissan Forum banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi, My Dad has a 96 Maxima. Running very rough at low idle, especially cold. Took to dealer and told the fuel injectors were bad and needed to be replaced. 110k miles. I did some surfing and noted this is a common problem with this engine. BUT do you really need to replace all 6 injectors? Seems luxurious. Called another mechanic and he said all injectors need to be replaced in order to keep the engine 'balanced.' Hmmm. Also, noticed in other thread about a coil. Seems like a cheaper issue to try first. SUggestions?

·
Will work for beer
2,696 Posts
If you have a bad injector, it's best to replace all 6.. if one's dead, the others likely aren't far behind.
I had a customer a while back that insisted on replacing only one..
then another...
then another...
then he finally told me to replace the last three at once.
At $150 a turn for labor and you have to remove the entire fuel rail and replace $25 in O-rings each time, you can see how this would make sense rather quickly.

As far as balancing injectors, it's usually not a huge issue on stock cars, but it helps to make sure they're balanced to the engine runs better. on race cars and stuff that are very picky about fuel flows and A/F ratios, it's imperative to have matching injectors. on a street car that's not driven that hard, it doesn't make a huge amount of difference.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts