Nissan Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've got a 2000 Pathfinder with only 48,000 kms on it and had the dealership tell me it requires a new set of lower ball-joints as there is some play in them. They've quoted me a cost of $792 plus taxes. This sounds high - has anyone else had to replace the ball joints on their vehicles? If so, how much should I expect to pay elsewhere? I usually don't take it to the dealership but had to have the fuel filler recal taken care of and while it was there I had an inspection done.

Also, should the ball joints be loosening up after only 48K?

·
Registered
6 Posts
Hmmm... at 48K miles, you should not have to replace ball joints. Also the price the dealership quoted seems quite high. I replaced my balljoints on my 97 pathfinder at 180,000 kms. Ball joints are about $35 each ( Auto Parts Fast at RockAuto) and labour should be a couple hours only.
If i were you, i would get a second opinion from a reputable garage, before forking over that much $$.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks for the advice - I spoke with an alignment shop here in Toronto and the second I said "48,000 kilometres" he shot down the idea that the lowerball joints had to be replaced. They gave it a free inspection and the ball joints are fine... unfortunately the rear bushing is shot and will need to be replaced sometime soon.

I hate dealers.

·
Registered
42 Posts
Front ball joints - what is the symptoms of worn ball joints? I have had clunking up front when driving over bumps in the road. I thought it was the tie rods but replaced those already. I also get some shimmy in the wheel when driving at high speeds and slightly turn the wheel in either direction...

Any ideas?

·
Nissan Technician
826 Posts
^^^Your "clunk over bumps" are the sway bar links! Also sounds like your front wheels need balancing.

·
Registered
42 Posts
Well the sound comes when Im on the brakes. Sounds like when the wheels are turning(going). I should get the links for the sways as well as they are 140K miles on them....

Any clues?

1 - 6 of 6 Posts