Nissan Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts
A

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was performing 30,000 mile (40,000...OOPS!) maintenance on my 98 Sentra SE this afternoon. No problem with spark plugs (zzzz...), but I couldn't get the hoses off the dang fuel filter. Any ideas? Do I need to cut them just to install the new one, or is there an easy way to loosen them? Thanks for the help!

-Pete

·
Registered
19 Posts
how much is a fuel filter?

·
Its a JEEP thing...
388 Posts
well.first off, you need to pull the fuse for the fuel pump and let it die to relieve the fuel pressure. Then I have heard to use needle nose pliers on the hose to work it off..they are very stubborn. If you place the pliers in front of the hose..and pry it away from the filter..you should be able to get it off...

·
Registered
781 Posts
allenpg said:
I was performing 30,000 mile (40,000...OOPS!) maintenance on my 98 Sentra SE this afternoon. No problem with spark plugs (zzzz...), but I couldn't get the hoses off the dang fuel filter. Any ideas? Do I need to cut them just to install the new one, or is there an easy way to loosen them? Thanks for the help!

-Pete
Wait! you just hit 40000 on your 98? JESUS! I just hit 52 in my 99. Wana swap? :D

N

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
When i replaced my fuel filter, which was recently, you have to disconnect the fuse under the dash that is for your fuel pump. Crank the engine a few times to make sure it doesnt start. Then, undo the clamps on the hose and twist the hoses off. the one on top i had to cut before i realized i could simply twist them to get them off. The bottom one came off without a problem when i twisted it to work it off.

·
Registered
638 Posts
NissanGuy01 said:
how much is a fuel filter?
The nissan oem fuel filter goes for about $13 at the dealer. This is the best fuel filter to use on your sentra. I change mine once a year... :)

·
B13 Owner since 90
134 Posts
if you have a hard time pulling/twisting the rubber hose from the Fuel filter you might want to try this first. use a very dry terry cloth, wrap it around the hose for better leverage then twist the hose while pulling it. i try to avoid using a flathead screwdriver as not to damage the hose.

Tevs

·
Registered
27 Posts
I just changed my fuel filter. It's a pain in the ass at first. I did it by using one hand and reaching in below the filter, grabbing the hose, and slowly and gently twisting and pulling the tube out. It's not bad, but once the bottom tube is off, you'll have more leverage to get the top tube out. Worked for me, but I have small hands (small hands = large uknowwhat)

·
Registered
135 Posts
I got you all beat...41k on my 1996 200sx. :D I need to change mine as well, btw. just thought I would put up a useless post...:rolleyes:

·
Registered
74 Posts
Oh yeah... well

Yeah!? Well I've got a 142k on my '82. Original miles, O-riginal engine. And I just replaced the fuel pump and filter for the first time!!

I unfortunately completely forgot about it. I'm the second owner so I wasn't sure if it had been done before. But all parts I removed still had undercoating on them.

I definitely DON'T plan on letting that happen again!

Oh, but maybe I don't count cuz I'm drivin' a BMW 320i... still haven't found my SE-R yet. :(

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Black200SXSER said:
I got 72k on my 96...:D
Yeah, you've got something to grin about with that kind of mileage. Almost 162k (not a typo) on my 96, but it's still solid. Compression check returned values within 5% across all 4 cylinders, and the values were HIGHER than the values shown in the factory service manual.

So, I guess I should be smiling, too. :p

1 - 15 of 15 Posts