Nissan Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Any opinions? I've got the unmistakable "clicking" sound from my passenger side drive axle. I've changed entire drive axles before on other cars, but I've never repaired a CV joint using one of those kits. Has anyone here ever used these CV joint kits? And also, will I have to remove the entire drive axle anyway?

·
Registered
120 Posts
I've done it both ways; I doubt that I will ever do the boots again. I'd say, replace shaft with quality rebuilt (new if you are well off).

Clicking may be a sign that you waited too long, boot and new grease may not suffice.

The time I did the boots I pulled the shafts and worked on a vice. I can't imagine pulling the joints apart, cleaning, reinstalling boot, inserting grease, then putting joint back together (not to mention getting bands on) while the shaft is still in the car -- I think you'll need to remove the shaft.

My experience with this repair is limited to my car, other models may be different.

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks Raul,
If I'm going to have to take the entire drive axle out for the boot repair kit, then I may as well replace it with a remanufactured axle. I guess I was just trying to be cheap and lazy.
Well, I'm getting ready to install some coilovers and struts on the car, so I guess I'll just do the axles at the same time and make a whole day of it!:(

·
Your electrical friend
2,177 Posts
Auto Zone has remanufactured shafts for $60 each. If they haven't been done in a few years, I'd just replace them both. You're right, replacing them outright is the best route.

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
$60...:eek: ...I'd better stock pile a few of them at that price! I'm going home and calling Autozone today!

·
Registered
321 Posts
I Work in a Auto Supply store, its usually just as expensive to buy a NEW cv joint as it is to buy a REMAN axle.

replace it all and save yourself a headache.

·
Your electrical friend
2,177 Posts
$60...:eek: ...I'd better stock pile a few of them at that price! I'm going home and calling Autozone today!
That's with a core though. They're limited lifetime as well.

·
freakish poster
1,236 Posts
Replacing the boot cost $16 from NAPA, but I caught it right away. The job (disassembling the joint) was very easy, but you must perfectly clean the joint.

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
toolapcfan said:
Auto Zone has remanufactured shafts for $60 each. If they haven't been done in a few years, I'd just replace them both. You're right, replacing them outright is the best route.
Just my luck, AutoZone here in GA wants $80 each for them. Guess I'll only be getting two!

·
Boost anyone?
1,625 Posts
My outer CV boot is torn on the driverside axle and was wondering how can i take them apart. What can i do, i really dont want to buy a new or reman axle as it is still good. I have a 96 sentra 1.6L.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts