Nissan Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Need advice on replacing '89 Pathfinder alternator. Noticed today a loud whining noise with the radio on. Also noticed the volt meter running about 16 to 18 volts when accelerating. Runs around 14 volts at idle. How is the best way to remove the alternator. I have a Hayne's manual but the instructions are not real clear.

Thanks in advance for any help removing this beast.

·
3,553 Posts
Take off the skidplate underneath and do it from there. It'd take all day to do from the top. I go through the fenderwell with an extension and socket to access the adjuster bolt.

·
Registered
63 Posts
It's truly a pain in the ass. Probabaly worst basic thing to have to change on the older pathfinders.

Also if your alternator was externally regulated - maybe you just need to replace that.

·
3,553 Posts
They're all internal AFAIK and it takes me about 15 minutes to drop the alternator. You must have big hands? ;)

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks for the response. The manual is helpful but there's nothing like help from someone who's been there.

·
Registered
63 Posts
Im guessing it was the fact that my replacement alt was a higih output and larger than the stock... so it was a huge pain.

Plus the tightener for the alternator belt broke on my pathy...

·
3,553 Posts
Lame...I swapped my stock alty out for a 110 amp Quest alternator and modified the bracket to fit. Works great!

·
Registered
79 Posts
Disconnect the battery first (negative then positive) before doing any work on the alternator. Once the new alternator is in and connected, reinstall the battery cables (positive then negative).

1 - 9 of 9 Posts