Nissan Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My 96 Sentra had an overheating problem and I determined that the problem was a blown head gasket. I had the head inspected by a machinist who indicated that he thought the head was really ok... that it did not show signs that antifreeze leaked into the combustion chambers. Therefore, I changed the head gasket and put the head back on. I was very careful to make sure the chain was placed onto the cam gears in a correct manner as indicated in my shop manual. After getting the car back together again, it won't start. I am getting fire to the plugs and it appears that fuel is getting to the combustion chamber (plugs are wet after their removal).

I am completely stumped as to what to do next. I would appreciate some ideas on how I should proceed to get the car going. I should mention that prior to removing the head, I had compression in the cylinders that ranged between 130 and 140 psi per cylinder. Thanks in advance for any help you may be able to provide.

Al

·
OT's E-Referee
904 Posts
alkon said:
My 96 Sentra had an overheating problem and I determined that the problem was a blown head gasket. I had the head inspected by a machinist who indicated that he thought the head was really ok... that it did not show signs that antifreeze leaked into the combustion chambers. Therefore, I changed the head gasket and put the head back on. I was very careful to make sure the chain was placed onto the cam gears in a correct manner as indicated in my shop manual. After getting the car back together again, it won't start. I am getting fire to the plugs and it appears that fuel is getting to the combustion chamber (plugs are wet after their removal).

I am completely stumped as to what to do next. I would appreciate some ideas on how I should proceed to get the car going. I should mention that prior to removing the head, I had compression in the cylinders that ranged between 130 and 140 psi per cylinder. Thanks in advance for any help you may be able to provide.

Al
Hmmm. Many possibilities. My main thinking is timing. If your getting fuel then that leaves either spark or compression. Check the compression to rule that one out. I'm thinking that the timing off and that the plugs are firing just at the wrong time. Also double check that you have the wire on the correct plugs.

Mitch

·
absolutely classic
455 Posts
alkon said:

Al
I know it sounds stupid, but I did basically the same work and the car didn't start either. I found the spark plug wires were in the wrong order, I think Haynes screwed that up. After playing with it for about 10 minutes, it started fine. Also, check the timing if you can. Did you mark where the distributor was? Good luck!

Edit: That compression seems low, squirt some oil in the cylinders and see if it goes up. Did you crank it about 8-10 times holding the throttle open? If not, that would give a lower reading.

·
Now w/20% More Magic
199 Posts
much like Kindfiend is saying
likely its a compression problem there needs to be oil along the walls to seal and make compression. I would disconnect the fuel pump fuse and crank the car a few times to get oil to cirrulate. cause right now your just washing off any oil that builds with the unburn gas spraying in

1 - 4 of 4 Posts