Nissan Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all, I'm new to the forum but I've tried to do my homework before posting.

Here's what happened with my '87 PulsarSE. In a parking lot, I noticed some gear grinding noise, knew it wasn't "right" but it stopped and there was no further trouble that night. Next morning, I couldn't shift into gear at all, sooo... one replaced clutch (and driver side axle) later, everything should be fine right?

Well, I didn't even get the car home from the shop before it started popping out of 5th gear, not often but enough to be disturbing. Now that I've done some research, I see this can be a pretty common problem for some models.

Thing is, there seem to be a number of causes and fixes (most of which sound pretty expensive).

some say to just get a replacement/junker trans,
some say you can replace only the 5th gear... maybe not even have to drop the whole trans,
there's the "5th gear popout kit" from customparts
some say it's a matter of what gear oil you're using (or how full the gearbox is)

Does anyone have any ideas on how/if the new clutch could start a 5th gear problem? I never had a popout before the clutch. And obviously, I would be a VERY happy camper if the solution to this problem would be as easy as repacking with the right gear oil. Somehow that seems a bit too good to be true though.

Let me know if you've experienced anything like this, or have any thoughts on it, Thanks!

·
Registered
87 Posts
sounds like you got a bad motor or tranny mount . check them ALL! after i rebuilt my e16i engine and dropped it back in it would pop out of 3rd and 5th , had a bad motor mount. so when the engine would torque and move alil the gear wouldnt line up or w/e and so it wouldnt stay in gear. new engine mount fixed the problem and ive never had the same problem since.

·
Registered
12 Posts
I too have an 87 Pulsar CA16DE DOHC. No problems with the gears as yet. An 87 Sentra I had used to pop out of 5th, replacing the clutch did nothing. On a trip I would just stick a wedge to stop the gear shift from moving which worked until there was no fifth gear at all.
CV

ignatz said:
Hi all, I'm new to the forum but I've tried to do my homework before posting.

Here's what happened with my '87 PulsarSE. In a parking lot, I noticed some gear grinding noise, knew it wasn't "right" but it stopped and there was no further trouble that night. Next morning, I couldn't shift into gear at all, sooo... one replaced clutch (and driver side axle) later, everything should be fine right?

Well, I didn't even get the car home from the shop before it started popping out of 5th gear, not often but enough to be disturbing. Now that I've done some research, I see this can be a pretty common problem for some models.

Thing is, there seem to be a number of causes and fixes (most of which sound pretty expensive).

some say to just get a replacement/junker trans,
some say you can replace only the 5th gear... maybe not even have to drop the whole trans,
there's the "5th gear popout kit" from customparts
some say it's a matter of what gear oil you're using (or how full the gearbox is)

Does anyone have any ideas on how/if the new clutch could start a 5th gear problem? I never had a popout before the clutch. And obviously, I would be a VERY happy camper if the solution to this problem would be as easy as repacking with the right gear oil. Somehow that seems a bit too good to be true though.

Let me know if you've experienced anything like this, or have any thoughts on it, Thanks!

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Hey, thanks for the replies. I'll definitly add motor mounts to my list of things to check into.

I think I've posted this in the wrong area though... my Pulsar isn't the standard 1.6, it's the 1.8 twin-cam. Think that will make a difference for this problem & should I re-post my question elsewhere?

·
Datsun Guy
1,367 Posts
I had a tranny that had the 5th gear pop-out problem on my e16s, the funny thing was that it would be ok as long as i wasn't trying to accelerate in 5th, so you might have had that problem for a while and perhaps your clutch was slipping some and replacing the clutch allowed you to get enough torque into 5th to make it pop out.

can you hold it in 5th? when does it pop out? accelerating decelerating?

·
Ex-mod/nissan guru
2,136 Posts
ignats to answer your question, the problem is the same on any manual transmission. the 5th gear is ok on decelaration and not for accelating (start to slip)... you need a new 5th gear: thats it, unless the engine is not attached right.

the tips on not removing the transmission was good for the E16 transmision. I dont know if you can do this with the Ca18de tranny. surething if you can find the parts and have the right tools, you can do it yourself... if your not to much of mechanic i'd buy another transmission.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
ok, here's more info...

Yup, it happens on acceleration, usually just after upshift. seems like it's not really a "gear pops out" problem but rather a "gear doesn't fully engage" problem.

If the gear doesn't quite engage, sometimes sometimes it pops out immediately (or is cranky about going in), and sometimes it holds for a little while before popping out. BUT if it does engage properly, (and by now I can feel the difference) it'll hold just fine. I'd say it's about 50/50 whether the gear works or not, and given clear freeway driving where you don't shift a lot, you can go a pretty long time without trouble.

I'm not personally an expert. My dad definitly has the knowledge but not the lift... He can get me Nissan parts at a good price though. Given that I don't want to sink much more money into this car, but I do want it to be safe and driveable while my wife and I are looking for new wheels, what I'm trying to figure out... is there something I can do for now that's less expensive than replacing the trans but a better fix than holding the stick in place with a bunjee cord? In any event, I figure the more I know the better.

·
Ex-mod/nissan guru
2,136 Posts
IMO the best to keep the tranny longer would be to just go throttle easy when engaging it (keeping it from hard acceleration) in 5th. Trust me when i say it wont get any better than wath it is right now. Maybe change the gear oil if it hasnt been done in a while can help keep it good a little longer but it will fail till it wont engage at all.

·
Registered
2,376 Posts
like someone said, first thign to check is all the motor mounts and shifter linkage. but most likely its the tranny cause its a nissan problem.

I had this on my e16i...started out like yours...then got worse...then one day i was holding it in and it damn near broke my arm, thats the last time i had 5th gear. not to mention when i replaced the tranny the fluid that i had just put in 3 weeks before looked like mercury.

·
Registered
41 Posts
As all ready mentioned transmission/motor mount alignment could be possible cause.
Also, If your car has a mechanical clutch linkage (may need adjusting), BUT if it happens to be hydraulic like mine, then you may just need to bleed it, try using a mityvac.

Do you have any problems w/ reverse as well? I bet you do...

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
here's an update - apparently we have already lost the 5th gear completely... I haven't had a chance to drive it, so I can only tell you what my wife told me which is that it won't shift into gear now.

Given this, do you think replacing the gear only is still an option?

oddly enough, reverse has been fine.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts