Nissan Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
S

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
How do I go about replacing a clutch cable in a sentra se-r 92.

·
Registered
117 Posts
very simple... my cable was pretty loose so it might have been eeasier for me. in any case... first, you might want to loosen the clutch cable adjusting nut right under and a little left of the battery (from the front). i didn't need to. then just slide that end out from the arm that links to the transmission. it's just looped on, no tools needed. follow the cable up towards the steering column area and you'll see two bolts on on a diamond shaped thing-a-ma jigga. loosen that and slightly remove it away so it hangs out. also, by removing it a little, it shines some light into the footwell area where the last endo f the cable is hooked on. easier to see. at the clutch pedal, the other end of the cable is also hooked way up in there. just need a flash light. it should already be unhooked if the tension is released. then, just pull it out from the front of the car, and that's it. you could do it the other way too. start from the inside. just depends on how loose the cable is to begin with. should take 20 minz. good luck

Peace
CMo

·
Registered
79 Posts
Also, after the install stomp on your new cable by pushing the clutch pedal down about 30 - 40 times.. then re-adjust the engagement to your liking.

·
Registered
54 Posts
How do I know if my clutch cable is bad???? The clutch was supposedly replaced 35,000 miles ago. Its seems funny. Could be that I am not used to it yet, but I put the clutch in, and I start to let it out, and there is alot of play in it, and very little resistance. I heard it might be my pressure plate. I don't really know enough about manual transmissions though. Can they be adjusted? How hard is to do?

·
Registered
79 Posts
Just seems like your cable needs adjustment. There is a nut shaped like a bottle cap at the end of the clutch cable on top of the tranny (accessable from the drivers side of the engine bay). Use a 10mm wrench to loosen the lock nut and tighten the bottle cap nut. Start the car and test the clutch engagement - loosen or tighten as necc.

If the lock nut reaches the beginning of the cable threads - your clutch cable is overstreched and needs replacement (this is unlikely).
Its an easy fix.

T

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Clutch Hard to Depress

Can I then use this same technique to lessen the stiffness of the clutch on my 91 SE-R.

Ever since it was new, I've been told by the dealer that my clutch was harder than usual (compared to my '90 240 with hydraulic clutch) because it is cable-driven.

After reading your posts, it looks like I can adjust it. Is that true?

Thanks,
TJ

·
Your electrical friend
2,177 Posts
The clutch gets hard to depress over time because the pivot rod for the throwout bearing gets all gummed up. I don't put much stock in cable replacement. Everyone says they get stretched out and whatnot, so when I did my clutch two weeks ago I put in a new cable and I had to adjust it as tight as it would go to get the engagement right, so it has no room to stretch at all. In short, changing the cable gained me nothing, took at least an hour to swap out and cost me about $50 in parts. It'd be pretty easy to do, except that if you have cruise you have to remove that solenoid to get to the nuts that hold the cable to the firewall. You have to remove your intake to get to the clutch lever to get the cable off there. Not to mention that it is quite tedious to get the cable on and off the pedal. If you have fat fingers and big hands you're fucked, and mine aren't.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts