Nissan Forum banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
189 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm going to replace my valve cover gaskets on my 94 Altima in the next week or two, and have heard that Nissan had a Service Bulletin that said to remove the small guide that sits just above the two cam sprockets to reduce noise. While I have the valve cover off, I would like to remove it if that’s the thing to do. Also, I heard this upper cam chain guide can break with high mileage and cause other damage.

I'm assuming its not really needed if Nissan said to remove it. Or was there a replacement guide for this location? Can someone confirm that this Nissan Service Bulletin is correct to say remove it completely?

·
Registered
5 Posts
Actually you want to remove both the top chain guide and the front guide. Both were eliminated in later engines. Removing the front one is a little bit more involved but it's still not too bad. You have to remove the part of the motor mount that wraps around the head and remove the upper front cover to get at it. Other techs on iatn and whatnot say 45 minutes tops. I say B.S.! But it's still not too bad. Good luck!

Cheers...................Todd

1 - 2 of 2 Posts