Nissan Forum banner

1 - 20 of 65 Posts

·
Registered
204 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Im in the process of removing the head on my engine.
i have the fsm, and one of the steps is to make sure that it is at TDC, and shows a few little diagrams..... my question is how do i get the engine to be at TDC??
also, i know i dont have to remove the lower intake manifold, but want to. i am having trouble getting it off, i have undone all bolts, and nuts, yet i cant seem to get the left hand side of it to come off the bolt. iv undone all lines, plugs, and am at a dead end, any ideas or pointers?

·
wont go any faster?
475 Posts
Sazbot said:
Im in the process of removing the head on my engine.
i have the fsm, and one of the steps is to make sure that it is at TDC, and shows a few little diagrams..... my question is how do i get the engine to be at TDC??
also, i know i dont have to remove the lower intake manifold, but want to. i am having trouble getting it off, i have undone all bolts, and nuts, yet i cant seem to get the left hand side of it to come off the bolt. iv undone all lines, plugs, and am at a dead end, any ideas or pointers?
did you remove the timing chain. and teh cam sprokets and the idler sprocket has to come off. for tdc take the bolt off your crank and youll see it has a notch cut in it turn it till thats straight up and thats tdc. i got pictures of my removed head it may help you out but you could do it with leaving hte manfold on

·
Powered By hopes & dreams
8,328 Posts
before removing the timing chain you use the crank pulley to put it at TDC for piston 1........if that's what I remember correctly.

·
Registered
1,014 Posts
you turn the motor with crank bolt and a socket wrench with long arm with plugs out until the timing mark lines up with the needle. Now I forget if its the first mark or what. I have to look in the book, I forgot!!
Chris 92 classic

look at the factory Nissan manual for disassembly instructions.

·
Wise Cracker
5,730 Posts
James said:
-5, 0, 5, 10, 15, 20

So you want to line it up on the 2nd mark.
And make sure the cam lobes are facing outward towards the firewall on the intake cam and towards the header on the exhaust cam. This will guarantee that you are at TDC on the compression stroke.

Do yourself a favor and leave the lower intake manifold on the head and remove it once you take the head off the car.

·
Registered
204 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
no i havnt taken the chain off yet.
so all i need to do is get a kick ass spanner and turn the crank pully untill it is at TDC....
if that is so, im a little confused, how do you get that pully off? i though you used the spanner to undo it and take it off?

i am a noob at pullying engines apart, but there is only one way to learn, and im not afraid of stuffing it up, but would like to do it right if possible

·
wont go any faster?
475 Posts
James said:
-5, 0, 5, 10, 15, 20

So you want to line it up on the 2nd mark.
then i definantly have a problem cause when i put my motor tdc i kno this cause i had the head of while doing it my marks on my crank pulley dont line up mine are way to the left side. even with a timing gun they dont line up. but i am 100% sure its tdc pluss the car runs lol. i think its a factory defect if the marks dont line up when i was rebuilding it.

·
wont go any faster?
475 Posts
Sazbot said:
no i havnt taken the chain off yet.
so all i need to do is get a kick ass spanner and turn the crank pully untill it is at TDC....
if that is so, im a little confused, how do you get that pully off? i though you used the spanner to undo it and take it off?

i am a noob at pullying engines apart, but there is only one way to learn, and im not afraid of stuffing it up, but would like to do it right if possible
well after you have it at tdc we got a big socket and an impact and got the bolt off, then we took a steering wheel puller and used that to take it off.

·
Destroyer of Engines
561 Posts
Sazbot said:
hmmm, ok, any clues on how to do it without and impact gun?
You can do it fairly easy with a socket wrench, just make sure it's not in gear.

·
Destroyer of Engines
561 Posts
Sazbot said:
but if i just user a socket rench it will continue to turn the whole thing
and? the reason to set it at TDC in the first place is so everything is at a certain position, so that you can get it lined up once the head is back on.
You don't need to take the pulley off to remove the head.

·
Registered
204 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
ok, so i dont need to remove it.
does someone else have a different procedure, coz i am using the 1996 sentra/200sx ga16de/sr20de B14 FSM and it refers you to the timing chain removal for the cycinder head removal.

·
Wise Cracker
5,730 Posts
Sazbot said:
ok, so i dont need to remove it.
does someone else have a different procedure, coz i am using the 1996 sentra/200sx ga16de/sr20de B14 FSM and it refers you to the timing chain removal for the cycinder head removal.
Are you doing the timing chain or just removing the head? If you are removing the cylinder head only you do not have to remove it. Heck it is easy to see thta the pulley is on the block and does not interfere with the cylinder head removal. You can skip/avoid anything related to the timing chain or cylinder block.

·
Registered
204 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
AAAARRRRRRGGGGHHHHHHHH.
thats the most of it.

does anyone have a link to a write up or a better service manual that they can give me??? or is there a nice person out there that could do a write up on removing the cylinder head??? this is just getting me very frustrated.

·
Wise Cracker
5,730 Posts
Sazbot said:
AAAARRRRRRGGGGHHHHHHHH.
thats the most of it.

does anyone have a link to a write up or a better service manual that they can give me??? or is there a nice person out there that could do a write up on removing the cylinder head??? this is just getting me very frustrated.
Doesn't get any better than the FSM! Also there is a write up in NPM from a whiiile back that might be helpful!

·
Registered
204 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
i have the 96 sentra FSM and it refers me to the timing chain removal for cylinder head removal... yet i have been told that i dont need to remove the timing chain to remove the head.
ill have a look again on npm to see if i can find it

·
Wise Cracker
5,730 Posts
Sazbot said:
i have the 96 sentra FSM and it refers me to the timing chain removal for cylinder head removal... yet i have been told that i dont need to remove the timing chain to remove the head.
ill have a look again on npm to see if i can find it
The upper chain yes, the lower no. You should be able to look at what is involved and figure out what is not necessary for just the cyinder head. If you cannot do this with the FSM and looking at the car I;d be VERY CAREFUL doing this yourself.

·
Registered
204 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
*cough* i just read a few pages ahead... and realised that, iv got the upper chain tentioner off, and am trying to get the chain loosend so that i can get the cam shafts out. any quick help? the fsm shows to loosen the idler sproket bolt, but this is a hard to get to thing, does it need to be loosend? or can it be done without?

1 - 20 of 65 Posts