Nissan Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Nissan/Mazda Gumshoe
1,052 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
sup fam. i did the "unsmartest"(yeah , i know its not a real word) thing and decided to have my xenon body kit , the same one that hybrid det has, molded in. in the beginning it looked great, but after 3 months of riding around on bad struts and lowering springs, well u get the picture. cracks , breaks , chips ,all the signs. just wondering if there was a safe way of removing the bondo without damaging the urethane . ive already started taking some of the side bondo off. and since the very front hasnt been touched by these obvious warning signs , im thinking of leaving the very front just the way that it is. the sides of the front piece have either fallen or have been removed by me. as i said before , any tips?

·
Still moderating..sorta
1,324 Posts
You can grind it out CAREFULLY. You could also scrape it out with a chisel. There is no gentle way of getting it out.

·
Nissan/Mazda Gumshoe
1,052 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
good looking out, ricebox. i ve taken almost alll of it off without causing any damage to my kit. the hard part will be getting the remanding bondo off of the urethane . where it connected to the body came right off but the bondo on the kit will be a much slower process, maybe another hour or so that i dont have right now. peace

·
Ex-mod/nissan guru
2,136 Posts
sorry not to be that good in my english but bondo is the double faced tape that kindda glue on you kit to the body ???... if it is
try to use longnose plyers and an hairdryer, slowly roll it on the plyers heating between the tape and the eurethane... it a trick i got from a painter i know to remove old tape before putting trim back on the car...

·
Nissan/Mazda Gumshoe
1,052 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
uuuuuhhhhhhhhhhhh, no. bondo is actually like " big boy" sort of paste that is used to fix those ......small flaws in the body of a car. im not exactly an expert but that 2 way tape crap isnt worth messing with. i just pretty much used the screws and a little sealant and presto, my kit was on. somewere along the line i decided to mold it in and thats how i got into this mess.

·
Still moderating..sorta
1,324 Posts
You could drop by a body shop and ask how they do it. They might just be nice and tell you of any products that might help.

·
0 Posts
Spent some time working at a body shop, and we didnt have anything special to remove bondo. Just the wire wheels and rotary tools and things like this. As you allready know, Bondo never goes good on anything not made of metal or really thick fiberglass. Although I had good luck poking it with a pick and then chipping it off of things, Then I could get it down to a workable level. Good luck.

·
Nissan/Mazda Gumshoe
1,052 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
thanks everyone for all of your suggestions, still working on the urethane. the metal was a piece of cake. ill let u know how it turned out. peace

1 - 8 of 8 Posts