Nissan Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
313 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok Guy's I decided today was the day and made the swap of the engine and trans on my 96 Sentra. Overall everything went well with the excepttion of the passenger side Cv joint (the long one). I tried everything I knew to get that sucker out! Is there somthing I am missing here? It looks like others have tried in the past because when I removed the joint the band was cut and the outside of the inner joint was beat to hell! I have the engine and trany out and had all kinds of leverage but if I tried any harder I would have destroyed the trany case! WTF:confused: is going on here?? Is there some sort of release I am missing!!!

·
Registered
2018 Nissan Pathfinder SL
4,227 Posts
the Auto you are meant to drift it out from the other side with a long screw driver or drift rod.
the manual you pop both of them out with a pry bar, people have used 16 -24 inches long, push it in, then give it a jerk to get the clip compressed. if it doesn't go, push it in again to allow the clip to float. try again

·
Registered
313 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Hah I beat that thing like a Red Headed Step Child!! It must have a broken clip?? I guess I will try one more time and see what happens???

·
Registered
4,227 Posts
on the old manuals, I did an 86 i think, you were instructed to drift out one side after removing one. So I guess thats possible, you could try it.
If the clip is jambed so the axle cant come out no end of beating will do it.
Push it back in, make sure there is some back and forth play, and put in pry bar, a big one, and in a jerk type motion try to pop it out.
I have always done this on the car, sometimes it takes a few tries.

·
Registered
313 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Ian I have tried everything to get this thing out! I think the guy before me tried everthing also this is evident by the big time beat marks all over the inner knuckle. I even tried the drift deal from the other side the thing is not comming out. I ended up buying a new Cv joint for the new engine and trans. If you can think of another way please share Lol. Because if I do much more to this thing the trans case will be wrecked!!

·
Registered
4,227 Posts
maybe the previous guy used too much force and damaged the clip so it wont retract into the groove.
maybe if you split the trans case later you can see why it wont come out.
it sounds like it really is messed up !!!!

·
Registered
19 Posts
I just had to do this to my 92 NX. The axel came out without the inner CV joint, and all I could do was pry it out of the tranny. I used a big bad-ass flathead screwdriver to pry at it and a vice-grip on the other side of the joint pulling/wiggling loose. Eventually (yeah it took a while) the POS popped out.
That is the only way to do it, according to the Chilton manual, and it will work eventually.
Good luck, I just started doing the same to the driver's side, just to change the axel, and it is just as much of a pain.

·
Registered
313 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I used one of those giant pry bars that you use for getting rocks out of the ground. It's not comming out PERIOD. I will have to split the case to get it out.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts