Nissan Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Still moderating..sorta
1,324 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My A/C needs to be reacharged but I'm too damn cheap to do it. Should I rip out all the A/C componants and lose 60lbs or leave it in for "resale value". Chances are this car is going to get driven into the ground anyways. I think I'm reluctent because we just had 4 days of 95 degree weather. Can I get some support here please??

·
Garage Sultan
1,173 Posts
Man we live in Canada, if your feeling to hot just open the window and go a bit faster.

Ripping out all of the A/C components would certainly save some weight and eat you would be able to put the power that would otherwise power the A/C to better use.

If your deadset that your going to drive the car into the ground and there will be no more owners of the car, then i say just rip it out. I guess if you had to sell it you could always put the a/c back in.

If i was in your situation I would probably take it all out with the exception of the dash controls (so it didnt look ghetto).

Watch out when you do this, many of the refridgerants and coolents in A/C systems are not good for your skin and some of them can give you frost bite (like aerosol cans) if handled incorrectly. Basically use gloves.

-Nick

·
Registered
46 Posts
That was one of the first things I did to my Pulsar. That was alot of wasted weight that'll just make me go quicker. But, sometimes it sure feels good to have nice, cold A/C blowing on ya.

·
Still moderating..sorta
1,324 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Nick you have obviously not been to Ottawa in the summer. For the last 4 days the temp has been above 33 degrees with 80% humidity. It's freeking hot sitting in traffic especially with my dark grey interior. I also have another problem. I probably will not run the car into the ground, my dad may sell me his B14 next summer when he buys out the lease on the Accord.

BTW I'm not all that worried about the refrigerant hurting me because THERE IS NONE IN THE SYSTEM, hence why it is not working.

·
Garage Sultan
1,173 Posts
I experienced that today. I was stuck on Deerfoot (Calgary's Major freeway) for and hour and a half today in some scorching heat, 30 degrees at least. All the windows open and the HVAC blowing as hard it could, and i still almsot died.

Its kind of a tossup, you only need the airconditioning for maybe 4 or 5 months of the year and the rest of the time its basically making sure your heater is working (I love the one in the B12!!! 30 degress inside the car when is -30 outside!).

Maybe you should just take it out but make it really easy to put back in in case you need to sell it.

-Nick

1 - 5 of 5 Posts