Nissan Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
72 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have an 89 D21 which I rebuilt the motor due to the previous owner overheating. I have about six thousand miles on the rebuild and it runs strong with no leaks. Several months after the rebuild I encountered starting problems during which I could hear the relays clicking but the starter solenoid would not engage. I replaced the interlock relay on the fender well thinking that was the last link in the chain before the starter solenoid. That did not cure the problem so I replaced the starter which had tested bad when removed. New starter did not solve the problem. Still ocasssionaly have to engage the key several times to the start position before I get the starter to engage. Seems to start quicker on subsequent starts , but I may be imagining that. I can hear the relays clicking in the fender well, and if I hold the key to start and then release the clutch I hear the relays react to the position of the clutch pedal switch as I depress or release it. Another bad starter solenoid? Couple of simultaneous other problems that may be symptons for the larger problem. The battery is boiling out the battery fluid at a slow rate, static battery voltage is 13.1 and the alternator charges at 14.5 volts, both values seem normal. A leftover from the previous owner is an aftermarket battery cable to the starter that is about five feet long which is coiled up and zip tied in the fender well. I know that causes a high current draw and I wonder if that is one of the problems contributing to the intermittent starter woes. One other thought I have had is maybe I have a bad ground causing both the weak start and a high current situation that affects the battery adversly. Am getting ready to get the service manual out and follow the troubleshooting guide but would appreciate any ideas or comments. Thanks.

·
Registered
153 Posts
For sure check all the grounds, and change the battery cable while your at it. You are losing amperage to your starter. This time of year, with all the dampness, the grounds could be bad. Like said above, it's a good time of the year for a switch to go bad too.
Good Luck

·
Registered
72 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
thanks. I am trying to find that procedure in the Nissan shop manual. Looks like I could replace it with one from the junk yard if I can get it rekeyed.
Appreciate the info.

·
Registered
72 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Too much good advice

For sure check all the grounds, and change the battery cable while your at it. You are losing amperage to your starter. This time of year, with all the dampness, the grounds could be bad. Like said above, it's a good time of the year for a switch to go bad too.
Good Luck
Went to run errands this morn and got nowhere.Finally was forced to deal with this problem, thank goodness the weather was decent. I started at the battery since I keep hearing " check the fusible links", which I don't have any longer. The PO had replaced them with splice after splice of wire that was taped together, mashed together, and one had some of that gooey black tar substance that supposedly is insulation. The wire from the clutch relay to the starter solenoid had four splices in it. Lots of ripping and taping later it appears to had solved the intermittent starting problems. I hope. I checked on an OEM battery to starter cable and is was the high side of ninety dollars, will have to check the auto part stores for a better solution.
Thanks for the advice.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts