Nissan Forum banner

1 - 20 of 41 Posts

·
Please Shift Here
6,696 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Alright. I decided this december, I would treat myself to an audio setup (as a little break from the performance side).

I've been a bit upset at my paper cones lately, and this guy's lookin for some nice sound to accompany my trips to lowes. :D
I'm not by far lookin for the loudest bass in the neighborhood, hell, I'm not even looking for subs just yet. All I want is some clean sound.

Here's what I have so far:
I want some good sound imaging, and from what I've heard, tweeters in the front always make a more realistic setting of sound (as if the music's coming from in front of you). I also want to do infinity kappa series all around. I figure I'll start with some 2-piece component speakers in the front. Infinity Kappa 60.5CS should do nicely.

for the rear, I've been a bit fearful of 2-way speakers; I dont really see the use of another set of tweeters, especially in the back. I really want something that just has the mid or woofer in a 6 1/2 form. ANY SUGGESTIONS??? If I go with 2 way I'll do the Infinity Kappa 62.5i.

now. Once again, i want a clean sound, so I want to do a seperate amp as well. ANY RECOMMENDATIONS ON BRANDS/MODELS? I'm thinkin a 4-ch 300-400watt amp would be plenty.

since I'm a DIY kinda guy and I'm also doin an external amp, I figure I'm gonna tear out the stock wires and start clean. what gauge/type of wires should I use to run to each speaker? What gauge wire to power the amp?

I will later be expanding to fit another amp and some subs (I'll think about that later on).

Anything else I should know?

D

·
0 Posts
sounds good, you could get some nice rockford 6.5's, it's like 150 bucks for a pair and the tweeter is seperated from the mid woofer, but it might be a waste to just throw away the tweeter though. I would say for the bass though if you want some subs, since i know that you don't want a crapload of bass shakin your whole car to bits like i do, well, i would say go for a 12" sealed box, and a sub that can hit pretty low, you can download bass tests that go down a step every other beat, it's good to test it all out too, but uhh, i would say go for a pioneer 12" 450-watt, just because of the fact that i haven't heard anything bad about them, and i know they can hit pretty low, and i would say go with a 200-300 watt amp to go to that, 160 even since they are rated at 160RMS, but yea, that's just my opinion. IM me if you wanna hear more, hehe. peaceasy man

D

·
0 Posts
oh and one thing, for your 2 RCA preouts, you won't need a crossover for the mids or highs, but if you want bass you'll of course need a crossover, but with a newer amp, they are almost always built with a bass crossover, just another 2 cents. laterz

B

·
0 Posts
DA5785 said:
sounds good, you could get some nice rockford 6.5's, it's like 150 bucks for a pair and the tweeter is seperated from the mid woofer, but it might be a waste to just throw away the tweeter though. I would say for the bass though if you want some subs, since i know that you don't want a crapload of bass shakin your whole car to bits like i do, well, i would say go for a 12" sealed box, and a sub that can hit pretty low, you can download bass tests that go down a step every other beat, it's good to test it all out too, but uhh, i would say go for a pioneer 12" 450-watt, just because of the fact that i haven't heard anything bad about them, and i know they can hit pretty low, and i would say go with a 200-300 watt amp to go to that, 160 even since they are rated at 160RMS, but yea, that's just my opinion. IM me if you wanna hear more, hehe. peaceasy man
Pioneer PREMIER 10" sub + 62.5 watts = smoke... bad juju...

Pioneer subs are the devil... the trunk of my Corolla STILL smells like a toasted sub after many carpet cleanings... anyways, enough with that...

My personal favorite for subs is Kicker, I have a single 10" DVC 2-ohm Kicker CompVR running bridged mono from a RF 250a2... and it fills my B13 quite nicely...

·
Registered
354 Posts
i think you are on the right track with what you want. of course everyone is going to have there opinion, and mine is to get eclipse.

i have NO personal experiance with infinity so i will have little to say other than hear thay are very nice.

seperates for the front is a wonderful idea, coaxails for the rear will be more than ok. a good 4-channel amp with seperate gians for ch. 1-2 and 3-4 so that you can run a lower gain to the rear for proper imaging. also with imaging, kick panels may be a good idea(makes speakers more equal-distant to your ears).

as far as the brand of the amp, like i said i am partial to eclipse. since i have a thing about keeping the different brand names of equipment in my car down, i run eclipse (at least in my 96 maxima), thats why i like eclipse they make all aspects of the system(componet wise). i have an eclipse 85x4 amp for my mids and tweets in my sentra(2 pair 5.25"pioneer seperates and 2 pair 6.5 polk seperates) at 2 ohms and i is a wonderful amount of power.

and now to wire. i feel that you will get a wide variety of opinions on this matter. my opinion is that get 4 gauge for the amps, now you may have alot of people disagree with me BUT by the sound of what you are wanting you probably will not exceed more that 600watt so you should be just fine. just remember the cost of 1/0 gauge wire, around here 4guage is about $2-$2.50 a ft and 1/0 will cost upward of $5-$8 a ft. the gain with 1/0 is marginal for your application, just get 4gauge.

·
Please Shift Here
6,696 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I could use some more opinions. Any more recommendations on amps and such.

BTW, does infinity make any coaxial speakers in the kappa line? that's what I'm lookin for in the back.

I really want to fo infinity speakers all around. I don't mind putting in different brand amps and subs, as long as it's a nice setup.

·
Registered
76 Posts
I have infinity kappa components in front and sony 6x9 in back and they sound beautiful with my sony deck with DSO on. Im gonna replace my sony 6x9 with infinity 6x9. For you, you can get infinity 6 3/4 for the rear and its like 120 on ebay? On an amp i say for the value, go with JBL. If you want check out ebay from time to time and look for infinity kappa 255a amp. Those are some real nice amps with dual powersupply. BTW, Infinity and JBL are both divisions of Harman Kardon.

·
Please Shift Here
6,696 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
nismosilvias14 said:
I have infinity kappa components in front and sony 6x9 in back and they sound beautiful with my sony deck with DSO on.
I don't really feel like cutting out 6x9 holes :D, but ounds pretty nice, especially when you get the infinities. I'm not a big fan of sony. :)
nismosilvias14 said:
you can get infinity 6 3/4 for the rear and its like 120 on ebay?
yeah, that's basically what I want to do. do they have any coaxials in that size (kappa series)?
nismosilvias14 said:
If you want check out ebay from time to time and look for infinity kappa 255a amp. Those are some real nice amps with dual powersupply.
I wasn't sure if they had amps or not. I may get that. how many watts is that particular amp?
nismosilvias14 said:
BTW, Infinity and JBL are both divisions of Harman Kardon.
sweet, I'm a big fan of Harman/Kardon. I have alot of products at my house; best stuff you can get.

·
Registered
145 Posts
You should choose the jbl, I've heard that they are good, and don't break unless you want to. I would stick with the jbl's cause infinity only made amps for a few years, and their amps that you can buy are older amps. You could get the infinity amp, but do you really want one since they only made it for a few years? Sounds like something was wrong with them so they decided to stop making them. Stick with jbl, if you want power, go for audiobahn. Makes awesome amps, don't buy their subs tho, wouldn't trust their subs.

·
Please Shift Here
6,696 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
any model #s on the JBLs or Autobahns? I'll be doing some searchin myself, but does anyone know any specific models that are 4 channels and 3-400Watts?

also, the JBL 80.4 says that it runs:
80x4 watts @ 2ohms
40x4 watts @ 4ohms
the speakers I'm getting run at 4 ohms, so is there any way to get it to run 80 watts to each speaker? I was reading a bit on the ohms thread but I still have very little knowledge about the ohm and such when it comes to audio.

·
Registered
145 Posts
Definately, you can get 80 watts to each. Since it says 80x4 @ 2ohms, you can wire the speakers in parallel, go to jlaudio's or rockford fosgates website, they will show you exactly which wires go to which. You basically have to wire one channel to 2 speakers, and the other channel to two speakers, therefore only utilizing 2 channels, and could use the extra 2 channels, if you got the 4-channel and use it for future subs, etc.

I have the audiobahn a4601q amp and it works great! It's 75x4 @ 4 ohms RMS.

Or you can always get a a2401 and parallel the speaker wires to get that 2-ohm load.

The great thing about audiobahn is that they don't get hot. The built-in cooling fans work great!!!

·
Registered
76 Posts
The infinity kappa 255a is a 50X4 + 200X1 5 channel amp with dual power supply. Mirror tint said something wrong with them? If you do your research you'll find that infinity amps were the benchmark. If your looking for a sub amp infinity beta digital 300 (on ebay now for 150) runs 1000x1 at 4 ohms and the amp is 1 ohm stable. Im not trying to be an infinity freak but i think most people arent giving you enough information. If your running a mild system, a 40X4 amp is good enough. Thats should be the RMS since most head units run 15 rms and u can underpower distort and blow speakers like that. With an amp you run 40 rms and that should be enough for your application. To what mirrortints said about the audiobahn, any amp will not get hot if you set up your system right even a POS 60 dollar jensen one. Another amp to consider are clarions. They have come out with some great amps as well close to the JBL prices.

·
Registered
354 Posts
all ssounds good, but if I run 2 speakers in parallel to achieve 80 watts, wouldn't that just mean that each speaker is only getting 40watts?
that is correct and only assuming that the amp is 100% efficent(which to my understanding, most are not)

·
Please Shift Here
6,696 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
hey, I think I decided on an amp....
I was at audiobahn's webpage and I found a pretty sweet looking amp. It's the A4601Q; Pretty much has 75watts x 4ch @4ohms. Sounds like the perfect amp for my application.

now, lastly, what should I do about the back? Are there any 6 1/2 kappa coaxials or should I go for the 2-way?

·
Nissan Fanatic since 1999
308 Posts
Let me know what kind of sound your looking for and what your willing to spend. I have a good amount of experience with sound. Not the uber, but some knowledge.

1 - 20 of 41 Posts