Nissan Forum banner

1 - 20 of 73 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I had this Recall done in 2004...
Now that i have 114k miles, I am getting HUGE OIL CONSUMPTION and a rattling noise. It fits this Recall, and Nissan is trying to get around it. I'm thinking this this recall didn't mitigate the defect, then it should be re-issued to my vehicle. I'm sure I'm not the only one with this problem.

I have a feeling that the dealer is gonna try and milk me and say i need a new engine; which is what the recall calls for.

got this off nhtsa website.
Make: NISSAN
Model: ALTIMA
Type: ANY
Year: 2002
Recall Number: 03V084000
Summary:
ON CERTAIN VEHICLES EQUIPPED WITH THE 2.5 LITER ENGINE, THE EXHAUST PIPE HANGER PIN MAY CATCH DEBRIS FROM THE ROAD THAT COULD BE IGNITED BY CONTACT WITH THE MAIN CATALYST.
Consequence:
THIS CONDITION COULD RESULT IN A FIRE.
Remedy:
DEALERS WILL REMOVE THE PROTRUDING PORTION OF THE EXHAUST PIPE HANGER PIN. IN ADDITION TO THE CORRECTIVE ACTION, IN ORDER TO REDUCE THE RISK OF FIRE IN THE EVENT OF POOR OR IMPROPER MAINTENANCE THAT COULD RESULT IN OIL SPILLAGE, HEAT SHIELD(S) WILL BE INSTALLED ON THE PRE-CATALYST AND EXHAUST TUBE. OWNER NOTIFICATION BEGAN ON JULY 28, 2003. OWNERS WHO TAKE THEIR VEHICLES TO AN AUTHORIZED DEALER ON AN AGREED UPON SERVICE DATE AND DO NOT RECEIVE THE FREE REMEDY WITHIN A REASONABLE TIME SHOULD CONTACT NISSAN AT 1-800-647-7261.
Notes:
NISSAN RECALL NOS. R3007, R3014, R3015, R3016, R3017. ALSO ON 2002 ALTIMA AND SENTRA VEHICLES, CERTAIN ENGINE OPERATING CONDITIONS MAY CAUSE THE PRE-CATALYST TO OVERHEAT AND DAMAGE THE CATALYST SUBSTRATE. IF SUBSTRATE PARTICLES ENTER THE COMBUSTION CHAMBER, THEY COULD SCORE THE CYLINDER WALLS, RESULTING IN INCREASED OIL CONSUMPTION. IF THE ENGINE OIL LEVEL IS NOT CHECKED ON A PERIODIC BASIS AND DROPS BELOW THE LOW LEVEL, AND THE DRIVER CONTINUES TO OPERATE THE VEHICLE IGNORING NOTICEABLE ENGINE NOISE, ENGINE DAMAGE MAY OCCUR WHICH COULD RESULT IN A FIRE. THE PRE-CATALYST WILL BE TESTED TO ENSURE IT IS WORKING PROPERLY AND REPLACED IF NECESSARY. IF DAMAGE IS FOUND INSIDE THE PRE-CATALYST, IT WILL BE NECESSARY TO REPLACE THE ENGINE. CUSTOMERS CAN ALSO CONTACT THE NATIONAL HIGHWAY TRAFFIC SAFETY ADMINISTRATION’S AUTO SAFETY HOTLINE AT 1-888-DASH-2-DOT (1-888-327-4236).
 

·
Banned
Joined
·
680 Posts
It seems very unusual that the problem is resurfacing again, and as much as I hate to say it you're gonna catch hell trying to get them to handle it, since you have already had the recall work done. The only thing I can suggest is to read this-->http://www.nissanforums.com/showthread.php?t=105620&highlight=north+america
It sums up whats going on. I didn't read the whole thing, I just remembered it from a while back. You could possibly PM some of the people who posted in that thread and find out how thier problem was resolved.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
vinoAltima2.5 said:
...CERTAIN ENGINE OPERATING CONDITIONS MAY CAUSE THE PRE-CATALYST TO OVERHEAT AND DAMAGE THE CATALYST SUBSTRATE. IF SUBSTRATE PARTICLES ENTER THE COMBUSTION CHAMBER, THEY COULD SCORE THE CYLINDER WALLS, RESULTING IN INCREASED OIL CONSUMPTION. IF THE ENGINE OIL LEVEL IS NOT CHECKED ON A PERIODIC BASIS AND DROPS BELOW THE LOW LEVEL, AND THE DRIVER CONTINUES TO OPERATE THE VEHICLE IGNORING NOTICEABLE ENGINE NOISE, ENGINE DAMAGE MAY OCCUR WHICH COULD RESULT IN A FIRE. THE PRE-CATALYST WILL BE TESTED TO ENSURE IT IS WORKING PROPERLY AND REPLACED IF NECESSARY. IF DAMAGE IS FOUND INSIDE THE PRE-CATALYST, IT WILL BE NECESSARY TO REPLACE THE ENGINE. CUSTOMERS CAN ALSO CONTACT THE NATIONAL HIGHWAY TRAFFIC SAFETY ADMINISTRATION’S AUTO SAFETY HOTLINE AT 1-888-DASH-2-DOT (1-888-327-4236).
The dealer ship just informed me that I need a new Catalytic Converter and a new engine for 5k.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
587 Posts
oh hell no... find out what you can do about this.. because it is factory defect... ... talk to other dealers or someone that might know about the laws about recalls and cars that continue having problems.... anyway you can just get the engine rebuilt .. ? jesus a new engine ? wow
 

·
Banned
Joined
·
680 Posts
vinoAltima2.5 said:
The dealer ship just informed me that I need a new Catalytic Converter and a new engine for 5k.
You need to get the dealership to tell you the exact cause of the failure of the cat, and if it caused the engine to go. Always document the name of each person you talk to, the date and time, and what was said. That way if it comes down to it you have plenty of info for a lawyer to use, if you have to. If they tell you the cat failed due to reasons in the recall, then it means the engine died because of the cat failure, resulting in you having a recall claim. It sounds simple enough, but it's not going to be an easy road to follow. Be sure to check back here often if you need any helpful advice.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
WATSON1 said:
You need to get the dealership to tell you the exact cause of the failure of the cat, and if it caused the engine to go. Always document the name of each person you talk to, the date and time, and what was said. That way if it comes down to it you have plenty of info for a lawyer to use, if you have to. If they tell you the cat failed due to reasons in the recall, then it means the engine died because of the cat failure, resulting in you having a recall claim. It sounds simple enough, but it's not going to be an easy road to follow. Be sure to check back here often if you need any helpful advice.
Yeah, I'm on it. Keeping paper work and all.
I'll be on the phone with Nissan North America tomorrow.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
vinoAltima2.5 said:
Yeah, I'm on it. Keeping paper work and all.
I'll be on the phone with Nissan North America tomorrow.
Nissan North America (NNA) just told me it's on the Dealership to assess the damage and determine whether it was related to the failed Recall. yeah Right...

NNA is going to follow procedure and investigate with the dealership. Then I'll probably get the final word from NNA. The rep was already saying that I would have pay for the fix (new engine).

I told NNA that it was a current fire hazard and due to the failed recall that was supposed to correct the Nissan defect. Also that I would send out letters to everyone including the press/media.

I need to know who else is getting the same problems.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
5 Posts
I don't see why you would be having a problem getting it replaced.

If a service advisor tells you they can't do it, go to the service manager, if he says no, go to the owner. They will good will it. Unless you never change your oil. If you can come up with maintenence records, you should be fine.

Have you had the power valve recall done?
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
5 Posts
I also have a 2002 Altima with the same problem. My dealership wrote up a service record indicating that the engine was blown due to the defective catalytic converter (I too had the "recall" work performed). Nissan North America will not help and are claiming that since the car has 101,000 miles on it, its out of warranty and too bad for me. My car has been sitting at the dealership since March. They want $5000 for a new engine. I have been very frustrated with Nissans inability to back up their mistake.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Chrysty said:
I also have a 2002 Altima with the same problem. My dealership wrote up a service record indicating that the engine was blown due to the defective catalytic converter (I too had the "recall" work performed). Nissan North America will not help and are claiming that since the car has 101,000 miles on it, its out of warranty and too bad for me. My car has been sitting at the dealership since March. They want $5000 for a new engine. I have been very frustrated with Nissans inability to back up their mistake.
Unfortunately, I lost the battle. After speaking to some mechanics, I realized it would be very difficult to prove that their recall didn't fix the original defect, hence the engine being shot. I frankly don't have the time or money to move forward with a lawsuit individually.
I looked at my options; New Car, Pre-owned, or new engine on a mint condition altima for 5k. I went with the new engine.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
5 Posts
I too feel like I'm losing a battle too, but at the same time I have been researching several websites and have found that we are not the only ones with this same exact problem. I have sent an email to my local news (no reply) and most recently sent a complaint to the Attorney Generals office. Next step is to an attorney and possible class action lawsuit. I have spent hours of time writing letters, organizing documents, etc. Hopefully our time and efforts will prevail. I love my car and miss it!!!! But I will never purchase another Nissan product again.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Chrysty said:
I too feel like I'm losing a battle too...
I still have all my correspondences and other documents. I will also contact the DA's office as you did. I have an official Copy of the Recall. Maybe we should try and solicit all victims to this thread and start putting things together.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
5 Posts
So I sent my complaint to the Attorney Generals office in my state and they were no help. They only contacted the dealership and now the dealership states that my car issues are due to my neglect and that I never complained about the catalytic converter therefore they are not liable. I wasn't really expecting any solution, I am just trying to go through all avenues to try to get this heard. Clearly looking through these threads, Nissan has put defective parts in the Altima and they need to confess and get these fixed.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1 Posts
Blown Engine

Recently my engine blew on my altima. I did everything you are suppose to do..changed the oil regularly, got all the tune ups. Took it in for the free 100 point inspections. Yet it just went up in a cloud of smoke. It happened over the weekend so I do not yet know the exact cause. I have a feeling that it has something to do with the catylitic converter. If it is I would like to pursue a class action lawsuit.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
18 Posts
I have the same oil consumption problems, have had all the recalls done. My cat started breaking up at about 100,000 miles, right outside the extended warranty range. The car now has 120,000 miles on it and is ticking (not blowing smoke though).
We go through about 1 quart of oil every 1000 miles or so. The dealer told us $900 for a new cat and o2 sensors.

I just had to vent thanks for listening.

Oh the car is 02 Altima 2.5s
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
184 Posts
last time i checked my oil, i was down about a quart. i called up nissan and they told me that they needed 120 dollars to run an 'oil-comsumption-test'... needless to say, i don't have 120 bucks to give to them for something that might turn up nothing, so i just replaced the oil/filter with 40 bucks worth of royal purple and ill keep checking my oil...
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1 Posts
2002 Altima has same oil consumption problem

I'm so glad that I found this forum posting b/c I thought that I was the only one with the oil consumption problem, at least that's how the dealership and Nissan North America has made me feel.

My Altima has 112,000 miles on it but it has had the oil consumption problem for a while now. I have tried the same numerous avenues as others that have posted their complaints, but to no avail. The dealership pinned it on Nissan North America Consumer Affairs, then the Consumer Affairs pretty much told me that I was out of luck due to the mileage and being out of warranty. However, I have been complaining about it since the car had 60K miles on it. I also brought up the recall to their attention but they said that it had already been done so there was nothing more that they could do about it.

I agree with Vino and Christy and say that it is time to take action and try to get as many people together as possible for a class action lawsuit or to start a petition. I'm definitely in and disappointed in Nissan's lack of customer service! What's frustrating is that they know others are having the same problems yet they act like it doesn't exist.
 
1 - 20 of 73 Posts
Top