Nissan Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
74 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
The plan is to turbo the engine next year....but this summer i'm planning a total stripdown and total rebuild...

while i'm at it...is there any kit's or performance parts out there that i should consider fitting over stock that will give me a helping hand in reliablity issues when i start boosting...

i.e. forged pistons etc...

cheers :)

·
Drop-Out
1,892 Posts
You will be good on the stock internals..Wes is making 249 as of right now..if he didnt brake anything yet, there is no way you r

·
wont go any faster?
475 Posts
Lurch said:
The plan is to turbo the engine next year....but this summer i'm planning a total stripdown and total rebuild...

while i'm at it...is there any kit's or performance parts out there that i should consider fitting over stock that will give me a helping hand in reliablity issues when i start boosting...

i.e. forged pistons etc...

cheers :)
i just did a full rebuild. now im waiting for my new timing chain cover cause it cracked where the chain tensioner is installed and wont hold oil. you can check it out my cardoman. i wish i would have went with more performance while i did it but i was always scraping the bottom of the pocket for cash.
full head job-200
resizing the crank and new bearins-100+
honed block-24
hot tanked block-30
all gaskets nessesary-120
new timing chain cover- 195
i kept my stock internals cause they were perfect no need for new ones just re ringed it and it runs great....besides the fact that it doesnt hold oil

·
Registered
74 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Skoodles said:
i just did a full rebuild. now im waiting for my new timing chain cover cause it cracked where the chain tensioner is installed and wont hold oil. you can check it out my cardoman. i wish i would have went with more performance while i did it but i was always scraping the bottom of the pocket for cash.
full head job-200
resizing the crank and new bearins-100+
honed block-24
hot tanked block-30
all gaskets nessesary-120
new timing chain cover- 195
i kept my stock internals cause they were perfect no need for new ones just re ringed it and it runs great....besides the fact that it doesnt hold oil
Well the plans were always to get the head ported and polished, intake extrude honed and all new bearings etc...

Why did you get your crank resized??? Does that need to be done on all rebuilds?? Did you get it turned down and use oversized shells??

cool...i just don't fancy a piston blowing through or something...would it be advisable to just buy new stock ones or just keep the old ones and as you say re-ring them??

I just want to see if i can get a lot of groundwork and a good solid base for my engine before i start putting a lot of money into it to get it running more power, rather than just chucking a bolt on kit on now and blowing the hell out of it... :rolleyes:

I saw mike kojima's guide on how to do head work but is this anything thats been tried by anyone on here?? Is it easy? Hard? Self explanatory if your using common sense? Or best left to the pro's??

sorry for all the questions...i did try a search on this but didn't come back with much of use...either that or my searching sucks... :)

cheers

·
wont go any faster?
475 Posts
Lurch said:
Well the plans were always to get the head ported and polished, intake extrude honed and all new bearings etc...

Why did you get your crank resized??? Does that need to be done on all rebuilds?? Did you get it turned down and use oversized shells??

cool...i just don't fancy a piston blowing through or something...would it be advisable to just buy new stock ones or just keep the old ones and as you say re-ring them??

I just want to see if i can get a lot of groundwork and a good solid base for my engine before i start putting a lot of money into it to get it running more power, rather than just chucking a bolt on kit on now and blowing the hell out of it... :rolleyes:

I saw mike kojima's guide on how to do head work but is this anything thats been tried by anyone on here?? Is it easy? Hard? Self explanatory if your using common sense? Or best left to the pro's??

sorry for all the questions...i did try a search on this but didn't come back with much of use...either that or my searching sucks... :)

cheers
i had my crank resized cause i spun a connecting rod bearing if you look at my cardomain on page 8 you can tell in the pictures. i would recomend you get it turned and get all new bearings. cause if you bolt up a kit and your car does what mine did from old bearings your screwed. as far aswhat i said re-ring the pistons. each piston has 3 oil rings and usualy 2 compression rings but ours only have 1 compression ring. after a period of time the rings get worn out and lose compression and burn oil and you get smoke out your tail pipe. i highly recomend buying new rings. i dont think you need new pistons and all that but if you think youll feel mutch safer with it then go ahead.. ::WARNING DO NOT ATTEMPT:: do not attempt to port and polish your head. this it not an easy task for a beginner. i kno my way around a motor but thats one thing i dont plan to mess with any time soon. i would definantly leave it to a pro. you could get the 3 angle valve job but not all shops from what i read could actualy do it right and mess it up. maybe this helps some

·
Registered
74 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Skoodles said:
i had my crank resized cause i spun a connecting rod bearing if you look at my cardomain on page 8 you can tell in the pictures. i would recomend you get it turned and get all new bearings. cause if you bolt up a kit and your car does what mine did from old bearings your screwed. as far aswhat i said re-ring the pistons. each piston has 3 oil rings and usualy 2 compression rings but ours only have 1 compression ring. after a period of time the rings get worn out and lose compression and burn oil and you get smoke out your tail pipe. i highly recomend buying new rings. i dont think you need new pistons and all that but if you think youll feel mutch safer with it then go ahead.. ::WARNING DO NOT ATTEMPT:: do not attempt to port and polish your head. this it not an easy task for a beginner. i kno my way around a motor but thats one thing i dont plan to mess with any time soon. i would definantly leave it to a pro. you could get the 3 angle valve job but not all shops from what i read could actualy do it right and mess it up. maybe this helps some
no thats brilliant cheers mate!!!

Yeah i read your cardomain site mate...was well good! And for a 16 year old...mucho respect...i thought i'm ahead of the game being 19...lol

:thumbup:

my plans are a bit like yours really...everything out, rebuilt and get it painted up....think i'm going to do that engine bay, get some solid mounts in there, repray the engine bay, sort out some silicone hosing etc...bit of form and aesthetics and then kick out some bhp next year!!

I'll have an ask around to see if theres any decent machine shops where i live...anything else i should consider?? :)

cheers for all the help!

1 - 6 of 6 Posts