Nissan Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
hello ppl.
I have an 88 sentra (E16i). 295000km on it. I've only had the car for a month now. The engine sounds like a diesel, it consumes more oil than it does gas and theres oil in the rad. I'm thinking of doing an engine rebuild as I plan to keep the car for awhile. With these many miles on it would it be economical to rebuild it myself or to get a used engine with low miles and swap in?
I can take it off the road for the time I need to rebuild myself but I'm wondering it it would be too worn out to be worth rebuilding. I priced out the standard rebuild kit at NAPA at $524(CDN) (bearings, seals, gaskets).
what other parts would I probably need to replace(pistons, camshaft)? have machined, honed?
I have a friend who is a heavy duty mechanic and he has a shop and most of the tools I'd need to be able to tackle the project.
I can get a used engine shipped from Japan with 50,000km on it supposedly from an engine rebuilders shop for $1000. would this be a better way to go and ditch my old engine or would I be better off paying up to $1000 or more to rebuild the engine I have now?
thanks for any input.

·
Registered
1,124 Posts
id say just get a block from the pick and pull yard, the head if u want too and put it together with a few mods likea litle bit of porting or something or gasket matching. i cant see a e16 goin for more than 200 bucks then just add 100 for a gasket set and your alll good

·
Ex-mod/nissan guru
2,136 Posts
first off, id take a leak down test and a compression test ... see where the engine is old enough to need overhauling... than take action ... most oil burning stuff can be coming from worn out valve seal (2$) or piston rings... $$$... if the engine is likely enough to get a rebuilt then go ahead. but youll probably need an oversize for the pistons ... new valves , decking block and head ... its good to rebuilt those as it wont cost much more than 1300$ can ... (ive asked before around my place and thats wath they charged.. complete) ... if you oil in the prestone ... the head gasket is going ... and thats probably the main cause of oil consumption. if you get the head off, get it checked professionally before reinstallation. better do things good once rather than redoing the job in 3-6 months...

·
Registered
1,828 Posts
if there's oil in the radiator chances are the head gasket is blown if if you've driven it very much like that the head could be warped which means more machine work or finding a good one in the yards or something.

·
Moved on...Ciao!
629 Posts
I spent $350 US rebuilding my E16i; That included all-new Fel-Pro gasket kit, new intake and exhaust valves, new Perfect Circle rings, new main/rod bearings and spark plugs...and 3 bottles of Dawn Power Dissolver spray!

I'd just go with a used E16 engine, man; Your old engine is bound to be very worn with that kinda mileage/kilometrage (HeeHee), and you're heartaches and money ahead. I'd suggest making that new engine a crate engine (Cheap!) and replacing the head gasket with a Fel-Pro PermaTorque gasket. You won't regret it. Good luck!

·
Registered
51 Posts
ok so you guys keep posting this in about 20 different threads that I have read, but none of you post where to get a "fresh" motor from.... anyone?

·
Registered
1,124 Posts
the taxi company i work for on the side gets its engines from a company called green leaf i think, who knows maybe theyd have a nissan engine or u can ask a dealership where they would get fresh engines and go strait to there source

1 - 8 of 8 Posts