Nissan Forum banner

What should I do?? (cost is pretty much the same for both)

• Rebuild my GA16DE engine

Votes: 20 64.5%
  • Get a low mileage GA16DE one

Votes: 11 35.5%
1 - 20 of 50 Posts

·
new motor & tranny
1,756 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Hello
To start off i just wanna say that im not the greatest when it comes to the engines. I am more into show kinda a guy as you can see me all over the Cosmetic section.
Anway.... the GA16DE engine in my 95 Sentra gxe is almost hitting 200,000k. Over the last 4-5 years ive been beating the hell out of it.
I wanna do some engine mods but since the engine has pretty high milage I was thinking of either getting a low millage engine or rebuilding this one.
I've checked a couple of places and i got some estimates.
To rebuild the engine it would cost little under $1,000.
To replace the engine with another GA16DE with about 50,000 miles would be a $1,000 including labor and the engine.
I do not have money to do SR20 swap so..the above two options are what im left with.
Im asking for your opinion guys on what i should do.

P.S What is actually involved in rebuilding the engine, people whom i've asked gave me only partial answers.

·
OT's E-Referee
904 Posts
B14_Stealth said:
Hello
To start off i just wanna say that im not the greatest when it comes to the engines. I am more into show kinda a guy as you can see me all over the Cosmetic section.
Anway.... the GA16DE engine in my 95 Sentra gxe is almost hitting 200,000k. Over the last 4-5 years ive been beating the hell out of it.
I wanna do some engine mods but since the engine has pretty high milage I was thinking of either getting a low millage engine or rebuilding this one.
I've checked a couple of places and i got some estimates.
To rebuild the engine it would cost little under $1,000.
To replace the engine with another GA16DE with about 50,000 miles would be a $1,000 including labor and the engine.
I do not have money to do SR20 swap so..the above two options are what im left with.

P.S What is actually involved in rebuilding the engine, people whom i've asked gave me only partial answers.
Well in my eyes those 2 options are practically the same. A rebuild isn't as good as a new motor but probably about where 50k miles is at. A rebuild from my understanding is basically tearing the motor done and replacing all the bearings, seals, gaskets, and any parts with wear on them. I'd say go with the newer motor provided it's been fully tested and all. Another option would be get a friend or 2 who knows cars and just order the motor and swap it yourself. Would definately save a lot of money and if ya got the tools it's not too difficult. But between the 2 choices you gave I'd say get a lower mileage motor. Besides, I think a rebuild would have more down time cuz replacing a motor is just pull the old out and put the new in.

Mitch

·
Drop-Out
1,892 Posts
I say rebuild, get the chamber cleaned up(bored) new pistons, Head word(port & polish, 3 angle valve job) and of cause JWT cams, get the intake honed, HS header and swap to manual

·
OT's E-Referee
904 Posts
Nismo1997 said:
I say rebuild, get the chamber cleaned up(bored) new pistons, Head word(port & polish, 3 angle valve job) and of cause JWT cams, get the intake honed, HS header and swap to manual
Dude he just said that he doesn't have the money to even do an sr20 swap. If he can't afford an sr20 swap how's he affording all of that? He specifically said new motor or rebuild.

Mitch

·
I want my B14!!!!
187 Posts
Definitely a hard decision considering I'm in the same boat. Here's a question for you though:

Do you plan on staying N/A or does FI look like a possibility in the future.

If you're staying N/A and just doing the regular performance upgrades, then I think either decision would be fine. Personally, I'd rather have the motor rebuilt mainly because you won't have to 'guess' what's gonna break soon, unlike another motor which may have been abused by the previous owner.

If you plan on eventually going FI, then I would suggest waiting a bit more so you could beef up the internals a little (you do have an ATX right?) so it could withstand that extra power. That would be perfect for a rebuild.

Either way, you really can't go wrong. Just know what you plan on doing to the engine in the long run and go from there :)

·
wont go any faster?
475 Posts
ok i went through the same thing you did decisions decisions my car spun a connecting rod bearing. well i looked into getting a new motor about 675 6month warranty yatty yatty yatty. BUT you dunno if there could be bad parts on it. so i went my route rebuild my motor with all new rings and bearing the works heres my list.
getting crank turned $80
block honed $24
head/valve job $200
all gaskets from
dealership 20% discount $100
main bearings $pending due to turning crank
piston rings $pending till block is honed

so almost a fully fresh motor about 500 depending condition of your pistons and connecting rods but mine where still in great shape
id rather go this route cause i kno whats inside

can you belive all this cause a 3 dollar part.. oil pressure check valve where the oil filter screws on is missing a chunk so droped oil pressure and ruined my bearing.
all those prices are from my local machine shop prices may vary... but i had replaced many parts befor this llike a chain tensioner kit and some other miscelnaious stuff somethin like that

·
new motor & tranny
1,756 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Skoodles said:
ok i went through the same thing you did decisions decisions my car spun a connecting rod bearing. well i looked into getting a new motor about 675 6month warranty yatty yatty yatty. BUT you dunno if there could be bad parts on it. so i went my route rebuild my motor with all new rings and bearing the works heres my list.
getting crank turned $80
block honed $24
head/valve job $200
all gaskets from
dealership 20% discount $100
main bearings $pending due to turning crank
piston rings $pending till block is honed

so almost a fully fresh motor about 500 depending condition of your pistons and connecting rods but mine where still in great shape
id rather go this route cause i kno whats inside

can you belive all this cause a 3 dollar part.. oil pressure check valve where the oil filter screws on is missing a chunk so droped oil pressure and ruined my bearing.
all those prices are from my local machine shop prices may vary... but i had replaced many parts befor this llike a chain tensioner kit and some other miscelnaious stuff somethin like that
thanks a lot for the info man, you've been very helpfull about the engine parts & the engine mods

·
Registered
117 Posts
B14_Stealth said:

I would say you need to factor in your mechanical skills as well as your time factor. If you've never rebuilt an engine, you could make a mistake you don't even know your making that will kill you big later. Also, if you going to do it right you need to take your time and get quality parts. You also need to consider cost for any special tools, lubricants and crap like that which could drive up you rebuild cost beyond just parts. Like Murphays Law says it's always going to cost more than you plan. However, if you've never rebuilt an engine and just want too, I say find a friend that's knows there stuff and get them to help you and go for it. I think you'll find it quite rewarding when that puppy finally cranks up. Otherwise, if you hate working on engines, then you're going to hate rebuilding one and it's not going to be the quality you expect. In that case just pay somebody to put another engine for you.

So I say, rebuild for love, buy another engine for money reasons.

·
Registered
2018 Nissan Pathfinder SL
4,272 Posts
cactusfarmer said:
B14_Stealth said:

I would say you need to factor in your mechanical skills as well as your time factor. If you've never rebuilt an engine, you could make a mistake you don't even know your making that will kill you big later. Also, if you going to do it right you need to take your time and get quality parts. You also need to consider cost for any special tools, lubricants and crap like that which could drive up you rebuild cost beyond just parts. Like Murphays Law says it's always going to cost more than you plan. However, if you've never rebuilt an engine and just want too, I say find a friend that's knows there stuff and get them to help you and go for it. I think you'll find it quite rewarding when that puppy finally cranks up. Otherwise, if you hate working on engines, then you're going to hate rebuilding one and it's not going to be the quality you expect. In that case just pay somebody to put another engine for you.
Yes I agree and my experience is that you have to worry about the quality of the work finish wise and size wise.
As an example I had a Toyota Engine in under warrantee and they would not guarantee the oil consumption to be any where close to original 6,000 mile/quart. They said they would probably be at 1500/quart and Toyota would only re-work any problems if it was below 750 miles/quart.
I got lucky because the block was not usable and got a matched Toyota block and pistons from the factory that was also about 6,000 miles/ quart.
Because of these types of issues I recommend a low mileage unit.
Keep your engine if you can for spares and head work or to sell head/VTC to the English non-VTC guy on here !!!

·
Nissan Junkie
917 Posts
I say rebuild it cause if you get a used engine it may have been rodded on I had a 2000 ZX2 and I beat the piss out of it for 16000 miles and then it got wrecked so the poor sap who got that engine thought they got a good deal but really got a beat engine.

Also if you rebuild it you can do a head job port and polish and stuff like that and you will know what is in your engine and can then hop it up latter on and know that it can handle it. So rebuild it also to the guy who said the used engine is as good as a rebuilt is a morron. if you do a good job rebuilding it it will be 10 times better than a used engine the piece of mind is worth the difference in price if any exists. To know when the oil changes were done and with what oil is nice.

·
new motor & tranny
1,756 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
thanks guys for comments, im really thinking now about just getting it rebuild. It seems like all of you are right about getting a used engine and not knowing what state it is.
Im gonna get the shop to do the rebuilding since i dont have the place nor time to get it done myself. They said that if i decide to rebuild, they could get it done in one or two days. My friends and I had a lot of stuff installed at that shop and the guy is pretty damn good.They reubild and modify engines in that shop on daily basis hehe. To tell you the truth thats the only shop that can service my car cause of the drop, all others refused :(

·
Registered
466 Posts
Why even bother rebuilding it? Does it have any internal problems? What is the compression? Does it burn oil? If so, how much?

I started modding my engine with ~160K and have 200K with no problems. The GA16DE is a strong engine and will last 300-400K if properly maintained, even with performance mods.

·
Registered
466 Posts
B14_Stealth said:
it does burn oil
How much? Burning oil doesn't mean the engine is shot unless it is excessive.

1 - 20 of 50 Posts