Nissan Forum banner

1 - 20 of 40 Posts

·
Nissan Enthusiast
3,090 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Figured I would post a question for once.

In the past week or so with with temps close to -20 celcius, my rear wiper has become very slow and hesitant. Having done a little research into the problem its cause seems to be related to dried 9 year old grease, and most likely some corrosion of the spindle mechanism that turns the wiper arm. Means I have to take off the wiper arm and then the rear wiper motor assembly, which I will have to open up and dismantle a fair bit to get at the spindle. Either that, or buy a whole new rear wiper motor assembly for $477 at the dealer, which obviously I do not want to do. I am curious if anybody has done this and would have some tips.

I found this thread about one on a 02 Pathfinder that should be pretty similar
2002 Rear Wiper Seized - How To Repair (w/pics) - 96-2004 R50 Pathfinders - NPORA Forums

and this video for a Murano
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OZXp6C2XRQk

In the meanwhile I am trying a bit of penetrating oil, but I will have to wait for a bit warmer weather before trying to fix it.:laugh:

·
Nissan Enthusiast
3,090 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Decided to tackle the job yesterday evening, as my rear wiper seized yesterday morning. Happy to report rear wiper is working as good as new. I had forgotten how fast it could work. Well worth a couple of hours of work, and having done it I am sure it could be done in less time.
Its quite similar to the repair done in the Murano I linked to above.

The issue was the pivot shaft binding in the armature housing due to corrosion and fine grit working its way in. Solution is to pull the wiper motor assembly out after having the removed the wiper arm. Once out, you need to remove the four small screws of the cover/bracket plate. Once the inside is exposed, you need to remove the rectangular plate that sits on top of the winding wheel and connects it to the wiper spindle arm. Observe the position of everything, then remove the wheel with its bottom spring washer. The spindle shaft has a metal plate at the base (again with a spring washer) with a hole that the previously mentioned rectangular piece goes into.
You then need to flip the thing over, spray the end that your wiper arm connects to with power blaster or whatever to clean it a bit. This will allow you to see the C clip and remove it, as well as the washer it holds in place ( you can see this in the Murano video). With these removed you will want to support the armature, and install a 12mm bolt on the end, get a hammer, and tap that spindle arm out. Once out you will need to remove crud and the small rubber O ring that sits in top ring of armature. I used very fine grit oiled sandpaper and metal file to remove the rust and pitting as best I could, then finished with metal polish. Gave the shaft a coat of white lithium grease, as well as adding some to other insides parts. Reassembled everything. Reinstalled the motor assembly, reattached the wiper arm, and voila a once again perfectly functioning rear wiper just in time for today's freezing rain!
Hope this helps others, as I note nothing had been written about such a fix for the X trail. Getting this done at the dealer would have had them replace the entire wiper motor assembly ( Nissan part number 28710-8H300) at a total cost including tax of well over $600. The part alone would have been over 500 with tax included. Happy to report my cost was nothing, as I already had the grease and the powerblaster spray. The metal polish I used was Brasso which we had around the house.

·
Nissan Enthusiast
3,090 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=R05H705U6dY

Just found this video on Youtube regarding the rear wiper repair for a Saturn View. This is almost identical to the rear wiper motor in the T30 X trail. Only difference is instead of the two circular metal gears ( one of which is at the base of the turning spindle), ours has just the spindle with a metal foot at its base and into which that top plate with pins on either end fits into. Its really clear in this video. Otherwise the set up is identical on the inside, and even the backing/mounting plate is identical in terms of the screws you have to undo to open it up.
Moreover, undoing the back door panel on the inside on ours is way easier than all of the dismantling required for the Saturn. All you need to do is pop the little hook (top left of the panel) center cap up and pull it out, and then with a flat blade screwdriver whose end you will cover in electrical tape to protect your paint, just work around the outside and pop out the hidden tabs that go around the rear trim panel circumference, and then tug it off. To put it back just line up the tabs with the holes and use your hand to go around the edge to push the panel in. Takes only a couple of minutes to expose the inside of your back hatch.

I have no idea why Nissan charges $477 Cdn for this wiper motor assembly, when you can get a replacement for the View for under 150, but that is par for the course of owning an X Trail in Canada. Funny thing I noticed two X Trails in Ottawa whose back wiper was stuck in the up position, so I know this can help people. Heck, I will happily do the repair for anybody in this area for the price of one for a Saturn View lol.

·
Registered
322 Posts
Mine works but rarely stops at the bottom, usually in the up or mid-way position...I can't see dismantling the whole thing!! Maybe if it decides to stop working, which with my luck, is bound to happen at some point!

·
Nissan Enthusiast
3,090 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Probably much sooner than you expect, during your next cold spell. Anyhow, I have explained the easy solution...

·
Registered
112 Posts
Out of curiosity, I did this last night. It was easy and only took 45 minutes. The hard part was getting the small retaining clip off of the pivot shaft. My wiper motor was fine. There was no rust or corrosion on the shaft, just a bit of dirt on the o-ring. I added some fresh grease to the pivot shaft and reassembled.

About a year ago, my rear wiper would stop in odd positions. When I would turn the ignition off and on the wiper would return to normal. I ended up replacing the driver side wire-harness in the rear hatch. I think there were some cracked wires causing issues with power to the wiper. The rear wiper has been working great ever since I replaced the rear harness.

·
Nissan Enthusiast
3,090 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Hi Chadn
Good to hear from you. Glad you were able to tear into yours so quickly. I never had the issue with it stopping in odd positions. Only that it would operate quite slowly and had been getting worse over time. I could tell when it stopped while attempting a down sweep it was because of resistance of some type. When I had mine open I tried to move the base of the pivot arm, and there was no way it was moving with just my fingers pushing. I actually wedged in the blunt end of ratchet head screwdriver and had to tap quite hard with a hammer to get it to move. That clip was the hardest part. Must be a special tool for those, but with two picks I was able to get it off. Had to clean off fair bit of crud and rust to even see it and the washer underneath. Was surprised the O ring was intact and in good shape. Guess it took me so long because I had to take a bit more time to figure it out and then to remove corrosion and do some polishing lol.
Anyway thanks for the heads up about the wiring harness. Had read about it in an early thread, but it seemed like a one of so I figured it was pretty unlikely. Would have thought that would cause a short, rather than intermittent stopping in odd places. Hope all is well. Take care.

·
Nissan Enthusiast
3,090 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Just so people know my rear wiper has worked fine ever since. New issue though. Enthusiastic scraping yesterday with our ice storm saw my rear wiper nozzle decapitated. Stopped by the dealer this morn and a replacement is $48. More than I would like to spend but I cannot find one elsewhere. I can find listings in Russia and UAE for 10 to 14 US but with shipping and delays its not worth it.
Sadly its not the same part as to be found on either Pathfinders or XTerras. Will confirm the part number tomorrow, but I think its 28970 8H300. Its having to be shipped from Montreal.

·
Nissan Enthusiast
3,090 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Well it pays to call another dealer. Hunt Club Nissan had one in stock and their price was $25 + hst. The updated part number is B8970-4M400. Picked it up and am about to install it.

·
Registered
639 Posts
Well it pays to call another dealer. Hunt Club Nissan had one in stock and their price was $25 + hst. The updated part number is B8970-4M400. Picked it up and am about to install it.
Don't wait too long, a nice cold weekend is coming up.

The second speed on my xtrail blower is out, so i ve put some music on and a coffee inside the exxy and transistor repair was done.
It s only temporary but i will shop for a new one.
Glad to have the garage to work in.

envoyé du throne en grimaçant kclmop

·
Nissan Enthusiast
3,090 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Thanks for the encouragement Otomodo. Did it 5 minutes after posting. Even wiped down both sides of the hole in the glass with rubbing alcohol prior to assembling it. Works fine anew. There is actually a valve in these that allows flow to go only in one direction. Just glad I didn't bust the rear glass. Must have come off yesterday with all the ice I took off the roof and rear. Quite the weather the past few weeks. Drove back from mtl on boxing day and that was a treat with freezing rain the whole way back.
Good luck with your repair and of course-- Bonne Année.

·
Nissan Enthusiast
3,090 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
That would have been fun... It was a ridiculous snow storm. Only had to drive to a party in Ottawa. Did your gas tank float level repair work?

·
Registered
322 Posts
I can't remember if I mentioned this before, but awhile back I was getting no washer fluid coming out the rear squirty thing and my guy found the hose had come off by the pump and was squirting on the ground, so he fixed it. But I did not try it for quite awhile as I assumed it was fine, and when I finally did, hardly anything came out, just a sad little dribble. I forgot to mention it last time I was in there but now it takes repeated attempts with the lever to get even a few drops out of there... Any ideas? Could it be plugged somewhere? :(

·
Nissan Enthusiast
3,090 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Hi Molly
Best wishes for the new year . I have no idea if yours is clogged. Easiest thing would be to stick a straight pin in the little nozzle hole and push it a bit up and down. See if that works.

·
Registered
639 Posts
That would have been fun... It was a ridiculous snow storm. Only had to drive to a party in Ottawa. Did your gas tank float level repair work?
My tank float lol.

I ran out of gas 3 meters before reaching the pump.
The gauge was stuck at the final quarter and going to the pharmacy, i had a warning in my driveway.
The xtrail didn't start at first crank or second, a third try was needed. I ran towards the gas station and at the last traffic lights(lucky me )it was rolling on fumes to die 3 meters before the pump.
I tried to push it but it was a bit uphill and it won't climb. I was putting it on park and heard a deep voice "hey man, need a push".

Glad to ear that.

As for the nozzle, i would blow some air into it(unplug the hose inside before).

envoyé du throne en grimaçant kclmop

·
Nissan Enthusiast
3,090 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
She will need compressed air to do that.
That is a drag about the fuel level sensor, but I am sure you will sort it out. Gotta like helpful souls willing to provide a needed push!

·
Registered
8 Posts
Rear wiper stops in odd position - re-ignition required

...About a year ago, my rear wiper would stop in odd positions. When I would turn the ignition off and on the wiper would return to normal. I ended up replacing the driver side wire-harness in the rear hatch. I think there were some cracked wires causing issues with power to the wiper. The rear wiper has been working great ever since I replaced the rear harness.
This sounds like what is happening to mine: The rear wiper turns on, moves rapidly and smoothly, and then stops mid-window typically on the first return wipe. Only when the ignition is turned off does it return to resting position. Sometimes it locks again on the way down and a multiple key turning is required to get the wiper all the way back down.
@chadn or anyone: Can you detail what you did to replace the "driver side wire-harness in the rear hatch"? Or suggest other possible fixes?

Thanks!

·
Registered
112 Posts
This sounds like what is happening to mine: The rear wiper turns on, moves rapidly and smoothly, and then stops mid-window typically on the first return wipe. Only when the ignition is turned off does it return to resting position. Sometimes it locks again on the way down and a multiple key turning is required to get the wiper all the way back down.

@chadn or anyone: Can you detail what you did to replace the "driver side wire-harness in the rear hatch"? Or suggest other possible fixes?

Thanks!
There could be two possible causes: (1) broken or almost broken wires in the driver side wire harness or (2) seized up rear wiper motor. Both are pretty easy fixes.

For the wire harness, you can either buy a new harness from Nissan or try and repair the old one. I would just replace it with a new harness. I think I paid about $130 for the new harness and it took me about half an hour to install. To install it, you need to remove the cover from the rear door and the upper trim panel in the back storage area of the x-trail. There is one connector in the rear storage area and then 3 or 4 connectors in the rear door. The only hard one is the connector for the rear brake light. That one was a pain.

For the rear motor, water slowly makes it way into the bushing that the arm pivots on. As it corrodes, it slowly starts seizing. It's pretty easy to open up the rear motor, clean up the bushing surfaces and put fresh grease there. Saves having to buy a $400 wiper motor. You need to remove the wiper are first, then you can remove the motor from the rear door, then there is a little circlip you need to remove (be careful not to break or bend it too bad), then the motor arm should come right out.

1 - 20 of 40 Posts