Nissan Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Constantly Bored
849 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
ok...now that the front half of my car is all kosher...new tranny, new axle, motor mounts and an axle...all for a price that you dont wanna know about...its time to fix the rear.

the wheels are humming, so i need to change the wheel bearings on them.

i did a little research and i was looking at the fsm, and i guess you have to change the whole hub assembly on the rear, to change the bearings, and it looks like a job i might be able to do.

the only question is...how much are they, and where can i get them the cheapest?

·
Registered
466 Posts
McLaren F1 2003 said:
ok...now that the front half of my car is all kosher...new tranny, new axle, motor mounts and an axle...all for a price that you dont wanna know about...its time to fix the rear.

the wheels are humming, so i need to change the wheel bearings on them.

i did a little research and i was looking at the fsm, and i guess you have to change the whole hub assembly on the rear, to change the bearings, and it looks like a job i might be able to do.

the only question is...how much are they, and where can i get them the cheapest?
They run ~$70ea at you local autoparts store or ~$100ea from the dealer.

·
Please Shift Here
6,696 Posts
Yea, I don't believe they're cheap, but it's a piece of cake to do. Anyone could do it. Since you have rear drums, take the wheel off, take the drum off (should just slide right off) and you will see the entire hub and bearing right there. Remove the cotter pin, undo the 30mm nut and the 1-piece hub/bearing slides right off with no effort.

If you have a breaker bar and a hydraulic jack, I'd say you could do it in under 15 minutes.

·
Registered
239 Posts
Yep, great info!

I just did both of my rear bearing a couple years ago. The 'really' busted one came right off no problem. Then one that was not as bad was completely seized on. Lets just call it worse case senario. We took a 3 arm puller and it snapped in half. So my poor boyfriend took at least half an hour chisling pounding sawing and spraying with WD40. Man was that a PITA.

Any my bearings were new OEM, about $140 canadian each. I couldn't buy them for a local parts place b/c they didn't have ones with ABS....

May your bearing slide off with ease :)

-Good luck!

·
Constantly Bored
849 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
so i dont have to disassemble the whole drum brake itself? or do i?

if i do, its not that big of a deal, but it would be easier

·
Constantly Bored
849 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
so i got one new rear hub assembly and come to find out, i have to put wheel studs in it...does anyone know an easy way to put new wheel studs in the hub?

·
Mofo
2,225 Posts
Its as easy as pounding them in with a hammer. Once you have them installed and the wheel back on, go out and drive the car around the block. Take a lug wrench with you just incase. When you get back tighten them up agian.The lugs need to be seated properly. The splines need to be all the way into the hub. If you dont do this the lug mab become loose, and you might damage your wheel or hub.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts