Nissan Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Constantly Bored
849 Posts
Discussion Starter #1

the new hub and spindle was extremely hard to pull off...so...i can to pry it off, and when i did the inner ring of the bearing broke off and now its stuck on the spindle. ive wd-40 it to hell and nothing. i was going to go try some penatrating lube and see if that helps. i also thought about maybe using a propane torch and see if i could heat it up and get if off that way...

does anyone have any ideas?

·
Destroyer of worlds.
874 Posts
take the whole brake assembly off (shoes and all the springs and what not). get in there with two long flathead screw drivers and lever that sumbitch off.

a propane torch will only make it tighter because metal expands with heat. if anything you'd want to go dry ice on that thing, but that will make the metal brittle.

there is also a puller tool, i dont know what its called for sure. but its got 3 or four hook things that clamp on to what you're trying to remove, and then you spin a bolt against the center point and pull it off that way.

·
Registered
239 Posts
Same thing happened to me :( PITA. Lucky I have a knowledgable boyfriend to save the day!

What he did was he kept on WD40'ing it, and bascially kept hitting it with a chisle (small hammer on top of it). Chisled it all around. more WD40 'repeat'. Took about 30 min. but eventually with one last hit, it broke off.

I'm don't think a 3/4 job puller would work at this point... for it's just seized on, and there's no way to get any grip on this part. Trust me on this one.

Good luck! it'll take time and pounding, but it should budge eventually. :)

·
Destroyer of worlds.
874 Posts
im still confused as to why it's stuck...the old one comes off like a hookers clothes. if i were to replace my girlfriends rear bearings would it be advisable to toss some antiseize or assembly lube on there?

BTW: are the rear bearings supposed to be sealed?

·
Constantly Bored
849 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
*edit* the old one was hella hard to get off...

not the new one

·
Constantly Bored
849 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
ima take a dremel to it, and see what that does.

Where exactly did you chisel it?

·
Registered
118 Posts
McLaren F1 2003 said:
ima take a dremel to it, and see what that does.

Where exactly did you chisel it?
Any chance you know of someone with air tools? If so, a cutting wheel
will do the trick. Cut an angled groove on the flat part (outter surface)
of the sleeve, deep enough so the wheel gets close to but doesn't make
contact with the spindle. Take a hardened chisel, place it in the groove
and give it a hard shot with a hammer.
Also, there is something else to try, which has worked for me quite a few
times. Remove the brakes and backing plate, place a pipe (monkey) wrench
over the sleeve and try to spin the sleeve loose. It may be enough to break
what ever corrosion built up between the sleeve and spindle.
GOOD LUCK! :thumbup:

·
Constantly Bored
849 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
well its now 10:00 and i just finished breaking off the old bearing....

but, still there is bad news...the new bearing that i got, doesnt go on easily. its as hard to but on as the old one was to get off...whats the deal...i think something is wrong with my spindle or something....

·
Constantly Bored
849 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
well i fixed my car...i had to cut big ass chucks out of it with a dremel, and i had to hit the new one on...

but for the first time in like a year and a half...my car sounds and feels normal while im driving...

and it feels good....

1 - 12 of 12 Posts