Nissan Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
72 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok, I am going to try to explain this the best I can, since I don't my car with me. I am at college and on a very limited budget, so my car stays at home while I am at school so my insurance costs drop, and because parking is $500 a year for the school's garage, but next year when I live off campus I would like to bring my car. Well my inspection is up at the end of the month, so my dad took the car for me to get inspected. Needless to say it failed. I am very pissed because I just threw down 200 on a new windshield, and put on a new exhaust and tires not too long ago. Well the reason it failed is because apparently there is rust where the rear struts connect to the wheels, or thats the best my dad could describe it to me. I think he means the strut towers, but he can't remember. Now if it is the strut towers, and they are rusting, if it isn't that bad, do you guys think it would be ok to use a steel brush, get rid of the rust, and put some anti-rust stuff on them? Unfortunately, I won't see them until Friday, so I don't know how bad it is, but I am trying to get ideas on what to do. If I should replace them, how much do strut towers go for new, because pulling them off a junk yard in PA, they will probably all be rusted, and how hard is it to replace them, or is it best to leave it to a shop? Sorry for the long story, and lack of paragraphs, but I appreciate any help or ideas on what to do.

PS: Do holes in the body (small ones, a little smaller than dimes) around the wheel wells matter? I only have a few hours to do all the bondo-ing, and if that can fail me, I'll just bondo it real fast, but if not leave it for the summer. Thanks again.

·
Registered
1,124 Posts
hah if u fail for that then im never passing, i got like... a 4 inch gap from rusted out metal around the strut tower area on my back passenger side tower, oooo well i was gonna tack weld a peice of metal in there. bend it all arouind and then continue welding the rest of the edges

·
Registered
48 Posts
Get them welded or if you NEED to pass, grind the rust down and bondo over it and paint it with the color match paint...if the rust is minor...just sand it down and paint over it.
-Ben

1 - 3 of 3 Posts