Nissan Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Need tech help. I am upgrading my 93' Sentra SER with FastBrakes 10.2" rear rotors and need to change out the stock length lug stud bolts with 1/2" longer studs for wheel and tire clearances. Where can one purchase the 1/2" longer studs and what is the best way or approach to remove the old studs and reinstall the new studs??

·
bitter old man
1,456 Posts
here's a search hint: NISMO

·
Boxed Fox
1,313 Posts
tom fink said:
what is the best way or approach to remove the old studs and reinstall the new studs??
I reccomend the use of an air hammer (the kind you use with an air compressor). Use the round "chisel" and just hit the bolt from the wheel side until it comes out from the other side. If you don't have air tools, you can always use a sledge to hit it, but the air hammer is a quicker and less strenuous way of doing it.

Removal is tough, but reinstallation is easy. First, put some anti-seize compound on the base of the stud. Slide the bolt in from the other end until it won't go in any further. Now put a stack of washers on the lug stud (on the wheel side), leaving 4 or 5 threads on the end of it. Thread one of your lug nuts onto the stud and begin tightening. The lug nut will press against the washer/hub, and pull the lug stud into place.

While reinstalling your lugs, you may notice that there are shallow grooves on the base of the lug studs. Don't worry about lining those up with anything. Those are just there to prevent the studs from seizing onto the hub.

Good luck.

·
bitter old man
1,456 Posts
ReVerm said:
Removal is tough...
Not at all. All you need is a hammer and a lug nut.
  • Place the lug nut on the lug and run it down so that the end of the lug is flush with the flat end of the nut.
  • Apply the hammer repeatedly until the lug splines are free from the hub.
  • Remove nut
  • Push loose lug through hub.
You're done.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts