Nissan Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
165 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have just replaced the 2 rear O2 sensors on my 1998 Pathfinder as I found a great price on NTK replacements. I was periodically showing a P0158 code which is the rear drivers side O2 thus prompting the change. My question is whether I should just reset the codes with the scanner (which I have already done) or if i should actually reset the ECU via the unplug the battery for 1/2 hour method? I have already noticed (by checking with the code reader) that the system diagnositc is slowly reducing the parts that are "pending" codes after the reset via the code reader.

·
Registered
277 Posts
I would only do the battery reset if I didn't have a scanner.

How was the replacement job - anything go wrong (rust, collateral breakage of things)?

·
Registered
165 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
i have the scanner so I had only erased the codes with the scanner. I have just been on a vacation trip to the mountains and am happy to say that it finally ran through all the diagnostics and I no longer have pending codes. Green light all the way.

As for the install, it was much much easier than i thought it would be. I used a regular 3/8 ratchet with the 1/2" adapter and bought an o2 sensor socket. took about 1/2 hour total to do both rear o2s. the o2 on the passenger side i was able to turn out by hand...it was hardly tight at all
I would have done the fronts too but they looked a little more difficult and i was pressed for time.
I am not sure what they should look like when you pull them but they were covered in rust on the outside and the inside looked like it had carbon buildup on both
Bosch o2's were what i pulled out and i put NTK(NGK) in as replacements.

·
Registered
39 Posts
i As for the install, it was much much easier than i thought it would be. I used a regular 3/8 ratchet with the 1/2" adapter and bought an o2 sensor socket. took about 1/2 hour total to do both rear o2s. the o2 on the passenger side i was able to turn out by hand...it was hardly tight at all
I would have done the fronts too but they looked a little more difficult and i was pressed for time.
I am not sure what they should look like when you pull them but they were covered in rust on the outside and the inside looked like it had carbon buildup on both
Bosch o2's were what i pulled out and i put NTK(NGK) in as replacements.
Good Job on the O2 replacement. I have same SES light code on my PF 2001 and I am debating whether or not I could to do it myself. Where did you bought the O2 sensors? And how did you re-connect the new ones? Is there a connector close by?
Thanks!

·
Registered
39 Posts
Thank You. Will have to change the driver side O2 sensor as the SES comes on more and more often.

Do I have to change the O2 sensors in pairs?

·
Registered
165 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
The o2's do not have to be replaced in pairs, though for the price of them I bought all 4 so that I knew that they were good and the maintenance was done at the same time. I just replaced the fronts a couple weeks ago and they were not as difficult as they first looked.
Technically you only have to replace the one that is giving you the code, however, if that one is done then there is a good chance that the others aren't far behind, or at least not operating at their optimal efficiency.

·
Registered
39 Posts
Thank You for your response.

Does anyone know the O2 sensor replacements for a PF 2001 model manufactured in May 2000 (5/00)

Thanks

·
Registered
73 Posts
The o2's do not have to be replaced in pairs, though for the price of them I bought all 4 so that I knew that they were good and the maintenance was done at the same time. I just replaced the fronts a couple weeks ago and they were not as difficult as they first looked.
Technically you only have to replace the one that is giving you the code, however, if that one is done then there is a good chance that the others aren't far behind, or at least not operating at their optimal efficiency.
Thanks for the info they are roughly $60 each. I have read that an ECU upgrade needs to be done at the dealer also or else they will burn out again?

·
Registered
39 Posts
Thanks for the info they are roughly $60 each. I have read that an ECU upgrade needs to be done at the dealer also or else they will burn out again?

Confirm what the NISSAN dealer said: it is better to "reprogram the ECU" . It was free of charge, as they replaced the air mass flow sensor ate the time. So I've done it 3 years ago.

I do not think that the O2 sensor are going to "burn out again". Normally they suffer from corrosion, and/or cracks from cold/hot temperature cycles.

·
Registered
73 Posts
Thanks all, great place & price for the sensors. Spent some time underneath the Pathfinder over the wkend changing front diff fluid, sensors dont look fun to get at but deo-able with patience, band aids, and Fosters.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts