Nissan Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
68 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
anyone have any idea why my rear window defogger only works part time? I think it went on strike..lol. For some odd reason it seems that when i really need the defogger, it won't turn on.. but when i don't need it.. it'll work? Could it have anything to do with the fact that i need to replace my blower motor resistor? i wouldn't think so.. but this is my first import. the wires are fine. i dunno :rolleyes:

·
Registered
89 Posts
i cant explain why its finicky, but i can tell you that it is no way related to your BM resistor. It may have something to do with the defogger switch though.

·
Registered
2 Posts
I have a 91 Sentra XE, my rear defogger became permenantly shorted after the fuseable link off of my battery blew. By pulling fuses I've been able to keep it from draining my battery but I'm a little confused here about what to try to replace.

blackmaxima88 said:
here's the relay description from the FSM for my 94 sentra. I hope this helps at least a little.

inside the car, in the fuse panel, those four relays, from top to bottom:
- rear window defogger relay
- ignition relay 2
- accessory relay
- ignition relay 1
Now in my car it's the same layout as blackmaxima88 said, the defogger relay appearsto be yellow. Is it the switch that needs to be replaced or the relay? From the manual I downloaded, it looked like the relay for the defogger was built into the switch. Any help would be appreciated.

cheers
Chris

·
Registered
612 Posts
christhesandman said:
I have a 91 Sentra XE, my rear defogger became permenantly shorted after the fuseable link off of my battery blew. By pulling fuses I've been able to keep it from draining my battery but I'm a little confused here about what to try to replace.

Now in my car it's the same layout as blackmaxima88 said, the defogger relay appearsto be yellow. Is it the switch that needs to be replaced or the relay? From the manual I downloaded, it looked like the relay for the defogger was built into the switch. Any help would be appreciated.

cheers
Chris
Not sure how much diagnostic work you've done, but if you can unplug the switch and eliminate power to the rear defroster connector that way, then it's most likely the switch. I'm not sure, though, if the switch and relay are a single unit.

·
Registered
467 Posts
if it turns on at first, then begings to go on and off, i may have a possible explination, most electric heat devises have what is called a duty cycle, (they can only run for so long befor cooling, or a break is required), what you are experienceing may be a type of this gone hay-wire. the defroster on mine will shut off after a prolonged usage.

·
Registered
86 Posts
almost totally unrelated

I'm sorry to hijack the thread, but only the bottom half of my defroster has worked since I've owned the car. Last weekend I was cleaning the rear window and noticed that the connector on the driver's side was bent way over to the side. I was going to bend it back into position but when I touched it the damn thing fell off. I guess somebody had some fast and furious cleaning action going on and hit it with their hand or something. But anyways, the connector was broken completely off. Does one connector go the bottom and one go the top ?? If I solder it back on do you think my top half will finally defrost ?? Again, sorry to hijack the thread.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts