Nissan Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi Everyone
(My 1st post here!)

I am hoping that someone can give me a bit of advice.
I bought my 2006 X-trail last summer. I have a bike carrier (a generic model from Halfords) that I used with my previous car, but when I fit it to the X-trail, the bikes cover the rear lights. Does anybody know if there is a carrier that holds the bikes lower so this won't happen?

Some extra info...
  • I don't have a tow ball, otherwise a carrier that mounts that way would have been ideal.
  • I don't want to mount the bikes on the roof as I often use a roof box.
  • I want to carry 3 bikes

I've tried searching the forum (+ others), but I haven't seen any mention of the problem of lights being obscured.

Any ideas?
Cheers
Jonathan (Glasgow UK)

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
I think I've solved the problem....
I got a bike rack at the weekend from Argos (333/2074) that holds the bikes low, ie, the bikes don't cover the rear lights. In fact the rack doesn't go near the rear window meaning that visibility is as normal - the rear wiper can even still be used.

I'm pretty pleased with it and it wasn't expensive, only £39.

I hope someone finds this useful.

Cheers
Jonathan

·
Registered
140 Posts
I see that model is a nylon-strappy-thing that mounts to the hatch. If you're taking the bikes with you for camping, it's an ideal, economical solution. For regular outings, I'd rather have a hitch-mounted contraption that holds the bikes by the wheels, with a clamp over the frame. Thule sells one that costs more than the average bike, but lots of manufacturers have similar setups for far less.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts