Nissan Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 2006 Altima 2.5s....

When I turn the key it cranks half a revolution (very weak) and stops.

Jumped the car...same weak crank.

Fuel Gauge pointing in the 9 o'clock position.

Smoke came out of the starter and melted the wire in half from the starter solenoid to the starter itself.

Changed starter.....same scenerio.

Tried Different battery same scenerio.

Turned crankshaft manually to check for seized engine....engine does turn.

Replaced the negative battery wire that bolts to transmission.

Replaced small ground wire (under battery tray) that goes from the body to transmission.

Same scenerio... I can't get it to crank even one full revolution. Starter and battery get very hot after a few tries.

Any help please !

·
Sup Mod keeping the peace
6,177 Posts
From your description of the problem, it still points to something that's seized up in the engine or in the AC compressor. When you attempt to turn the crankshaft manually, do you turn it at least one full revolution (360 degrees). When trying to start the engine, make sure the AC is shut off; to eliminate the AC compressor causing the problem. Scribe a chalk mark on the crank pulley then have someone try to start the car while you watch the crank pulley turning to see if it gets hung up at a certain point. You might have a condition of hydrostatic lock; hydrostatic lock is a failure of the engine, where the unit can’t run due to fluid entering the combustion chamber above the piston and preventing it from completing its cycle.

·
NF Mod/Nissan Master Tech
9,341 Posts
You could try pulling the fuel pump fuse or relay, remove the spark plugs and crank the engine and see how it turns over. If it's a hydro-static lock-up that's occurring, the fluid will shoot out of the hole of the incident cylinder. Unplug the coils when you remove them to make sure the coils don't create a spark.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Rogoman exactly right ! The A/C pulley seized up. I cant believe the serpentine belt had enough tension to prevent the engine from turning and actually burning up a starter.

I just changed the clutch and pulley but just broke the center bolt while tightening (another story). But thank you !

1 - 5 of 5 Posts